BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Banned
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It just started happening. It' is limited to that tire. What just happened.

Car is slightly vibrating on highway acceleration speeds

· Banned
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not very good me mechanically. Can you expand further on how to locate this mount?

· what amg?
412 Posts
oooo the shock tower mount

basically u need to take out the carpet in the trunk and look for the shock tower

on top of the tower there are bushing with a nut that holds the shock in place from the top

hes talking about the mounting bushings for that side

· Banned
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I feel nothing on small potholes. And maybe the vibration is in my head. Cant seem to feel it now. I'm driving on a highway looking for potholes.

I pulled over and tightened the spare and jack..

Could it have been this simple?

· Banned
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok I just went over uneven road. It's coming from the suspension put almost from the top of the suspension.

I hear it in the car near the rear passenger head rest

· Banned
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm on my way to the dealer. If between now and then (10 min) someone can tell me how to look for this bushing I'll pull to the side and look and snap a picture.

· Sleek Sam
3,626 Posts
You have to remove the side trunk panel and the mount is located in the upper area right behind the back of the seat.\

To remove the trunk panel, you need to first remove the trunk mat, then rear plastic panel in the trunk which is also held in by clips. Remove the 2 hooks which hold the cargo net on that side and then remove some plastic clips which are pretty visable. After these steps, you will have to remove the trunk side panel from the bottom side first, then push it in towards the center area. Once thats done, the panel should easily come out. Once removed, if you look at the upper corner by the back of the seat, you will see a foam pad on each side. Remove the pad and you will find the upper mount.

· Banned
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:-/ already dropped it off. On the bright side I got an awesome x5d loaner. Wow!

· Registered
168 Posts
Might have something to do with the four different tires your running. A bad tire can cause all kinda of shakes, in your case you may have four bad ones. I would start by replacing tires, but you know better ;)

· Banned
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There seems to be a personality clash in this forum.

Many people including our new moderator believe I am an arrogant person. I am not and haven't change.

My sig pic has been there for several years, just now some people seem to dislike me. Seems like the newer members look at things differently.

I've said this many times. At the end of the day everyone is entitled to feel as they wish as long as they are respectful. You can butt heads but be respectful.

It is not appropriate to continually attack someone from behind a computer screen.

I do have a set of Pirelli tires that I bought used and installed on my car.
And I don't regret it.
As you all know putting tires on a 7 cost 2000 dollars mounted.
What if you can buy 4 tires thr are 70%tread or better and have it cost you less than 1/2 the price of 1 new Pirelli tire?
Just because I have money doesn't mean I can't think outside of the box.
There will be instances where the used tires may cause you more headaches than needed, but that's why you must be smart inspecting the tires manufacture date, visual look, evenness in the treat etc.

This instance of being frugal paid off and I can tell you that going forward I have 0 intention of buying tires anywhere else.

I got a similiar response from my colleagues at work and understandably so. They could not digest the fact of putting used tires to save 2k since they have no problem spending that on dinner and a nice bottle of wine.

At the end of day this forum is a place where we all think outside of the box and share our findings, and the audience (forum members) are the lucky ones where they can look at what people have done and formulate their own decisions to what fits their circumstance and situation best.

I have recently discovered a place next to my office that is a warehouse containing over 300,000 used tires. I just picked up a set of continentals for my sl55 with 90% tread that was manufactured last year. It had a patch. 25$. So far I have no complaints and all 4 tires match.

If someone needs this places phone number they will happily ship anywhere in the USA.

· Banned
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I tried looking for a picture of the tire but it's not on this phone. However , you might be able to make out the tire and get an idea of the read. It's the front passenger.

I decided to save the other 3 matching tires since they are almost brand new and the ones on the car were purchased brand new by me when I first bought the car. They currently are all at 80-90%
I just couldn't pass up the set that I found for 100$ all around.

973 955 2011
Garfield wholesale tire distributors

Attachments

· Registered
168 Posts
It is not normal to put used tires on any car. Moreso it's not normal to put four different tires as the tread can never be equal. Why have a high end car that rides like crap. It just doesn't make any sens , a set of new tires starts at ~800. Not 8000 if you are that frugal get a cIvic. You are the only black card holder riding on used tires. Tires can be a safety issue. You are the funniest "dr" I've seen. If you can afford a Ferrari a sEt of tires should be the least of your concerns. People don't like you because your a liar and can't come clean.

· Premium Member
1,313 Posts
There seems to be a personality clash in this forum.

Many people including our new moderator believe I am an arrogant person. I am not and haven't change.
Well since you are bringing this to my attention and you cant stop pushing my buttons I never said you were an arrogant person I would never give you that much respect.

I also feel that Iceman5 brings up a good point. You start a thread about your car bumping and he states that it might be your used tires. Then you have to assume he is somehow attacking you and bring me into it also.

You have gone behind my back twice the other night, you cry wolf at the drop of a dime and expect us as moderators to ban members because you report the post. You insulted a member the other night and the next time it comes up I am going to ban you.

Is that clear enough.

Please proceed

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.