BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a thumping noise coming from the rear of my car. I can feel the rear passenger floor being hit. Could this be the infamous subframe failure, I had this problem for over a year now it's more pronounce when I drive through pot holes or bridge segments. Can I still get this repaired under the class action lawsuit? I had my car inspected before the free inspection deadline. I was told there was no problem, but I know I had that thumping noise before that inspection.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
If they said your subframe is fine then it's probably not the problem. Could be something as simple as a bad rear shock or shock mount.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If they said your subframe is fine then it's probably not the problem. Could be something as simple as a bad rear shock or shock mount.
Had both replaced about a year ago and the problem still there. The only other thing aside from the subframe that I suspect would be the springs. But how would I test that.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Were your springs replaced when you did the shocks? If not they could be broken. It's easy to see. Just crawl under and look.

Could also be trailing arm or control arm bushings.
The springs didn't get replaced I didn't think I had too, but if the springs were bad I think the thumping would be worst. I haven't check the bushings but from what I'm reading from different forums it seems to be a very common problem

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
You might have your shop check your differential mount. Mine made a thumping sound prior to its replacement. They commonly go out around 90k-100k miles. It's a cheap part that takes a shop around 4 hours to replace.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You might have your shop check your differential mount. Mine made a thumping sound prior to its replacement. They commonly go out around 90k-100k miles. It's a cheap part that takes a shop around 4 hours to replace.
Thanks. I'm planning on doing some work this summer on the p/s hoses and radiator I'll check it then.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts