BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum and I appreciate the material available here.
Can anyone direct me to a reliable BMW mechanic in Jersey City NJ (or nearby areas)
I need to get the emmissions and the suspension checked.
the dealer is ripping me off :(
Also, I hear a ticking noise from the hood when i'm idling..Anyone had this issue?
Your responses are appreciated

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AC Schnitzer said:
check this places out:

motorworkswest(.com).

Rolf's Auto Craft
Address: 224 Broad St, Summit, NJ 07901
Phone: (908) 273-0578

That is all I could find so far. Good reputation from fellow BMW owners.

Good luck.
Thanks a lot for your inputs. This is one forum where people are REALLY helpful.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was recently told that the ticking noise that i hear from my 96 328i could be the lifters.
"AC Schnitzer" suggested that it could be the VANOS.

In my case, the sound is apparent while idling or when driving slow. So which one is more probable - VANOS or Lifters?

If it is the lifters, what should i do to get rid of the noise? does this ticking cause any harm in the long run??

Brix_328i

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AC Schnitzer said:
If this happens when you drive, doeas it come out of the hood? or the front wheels? Right? Left?

let us know,

Thanks.
christian.
The noise comes while idling and while driving at slow speeds from the left side of the engine compartment (some where directly in front of the driver side) Initially i thought it was from the suspension, but my mechanic said that its from the engine.

I appreciate your input on this.

· Registered
1 Posts
AC Schnitzer said:
The the ticking is the VANOS so you are in good shape lot of people complaint about it, but once it warms up is all gone. I'll check for a shop for you.
I had the same problem, although mine was compunded by a marked power drop between 3500-4500 rpm during acceleration. The noise was a little different than lifter noise, plus it went away at higher rpms (like yours). With a $4.99 stethoscope from Harbor Freight, I determined it to come from under the VANOS cover.

Incidentally, when my mechanic confirmed the bad VANOS, he asked what kind of oil I was using. My last oil change, I bought 0-50 weight synthetic oil, because it said on the container that it was specifically formulated for BMW. Shortly after that is when the noise started. He suggested that I drain the synthetic oil (there went $40 poured out in my back yard, oops, I mean recycled at Autozone) and replace with Castrol 20-50. Unfortunately, the damage had been done: the thinner oil had caused the VANOS to become starved of oil pressure at lower rpms.

My mechanic found a used VANOS for $75, and installed it for me. Problem solved, and she runs smooth and quiet, with nice linear acceleration.

Good luck!

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi..
Anyone else out there who had this problem??
From all the responsed I got, It seems this could either be the VANOS or the Lifters.
I've heard that the VANOS makes a gurgling kind of sound. Mine is more like a ticking sound.
Any suggested solutions to this problem??

· Registered
16 Posts
Iam no expert but most makes of cars do this mainly the older ones,the worst are fords cvh engines,even warm they u can still hear the (tappets,cam followers/lifters).
some people say the injectors make a ticking noise and its normal? and also the disributor weights can tick,its nothing to worry about my bmw does it,some cars tick when hot some cold? if your car gets warm and the noise is so loud(like a genorator) and your rpm drops u no u have a problem,the lifters get clogged in this case u can change them but i did this to a ford xr2 but the problem remained in the end it was the oil pump not pushing enough oil to the engine hence the dry lifters. but you have nothing to worry about its a engine at the end of the day unless u by a brand new soundless engine u got to expect a lil noise,dont let it worry u,some people do spend more time worrying about there cars than driving them its natural but unless u got a major problem enjoy your car............ ;)

· E30 Maniac
4,894 Posts
i have noticed a similar ticking noise in my 96 328i. i assumed that is must be one of the belts. should i be concerned about it? if it is an oil pressure issue, is it simply the type of oil or something more? i am planning to drain and change the oil, any recommendations? i've read about lubro-moly but cant seem to find it in any of the local auto parts stores. I'm considering Mobil-1

· E30 Maniac
4,894 Posts
kishg said:
i just did an oil service (switched to mobil-1 0W-40) and the problem seems much reduced. Will post in about a week with observations.
It's been a week and the annoying ticking noise is gone!. I guess it must have been low oil pressure after all.

· tomas3314
75 Posts
CONNIE4HAIR said:
[i've Had The Same Problem With My 2001 Bmw 330xi. I'm Worried That It Might Be A Costly Thing....i Have Not Heard From The Mechanic..but, I Should Soon..does Anyone Else Have This Problem...???
Yes count me in...it can get quite annoying and do believe it is a lifter(s) going or gone. I've hammered the problem away on my other forum and many people have the same problem but never got feedback on any solution. It usually is most prevailing when the engine is cold and once it gets warmed up it goes away or when the car is idling. Once the revs go up it tends to go away. It is considerably loud though and seems to come from the engine.

· Registered
27 Posts
I do not know this to be the solution to the ticking problem but I read on another forum that if you add some more oil-actually over fill, the ticking sound will go away. I guess it helps the starved lifters. Any way, just a thought, seemed to help the other guy's ticking problem.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.