BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
X
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I decide to spend 2 hours after work replacing my center link and tie rods..

Fail.

Hex/Torx socket on the tie rod bolt is stripped, the nut is seized and rotates the whole bolt in the ball joint.

I've ripped the rubber grease boot off, and threw some vice grips in there, they gripped into the metal but slide off when torquing the nut, nut doesn't budge.

Do you guys have any ideas? Do I need to get a saw?

·
Registered
15,221 Posts
Nut Splitter is your friend.
Very inexpensive at local autoparts store. It basically destroys the Nut:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Best Brand Nutcracker

Been there done that, trying to get a nut off a lawnmower wheel.

Tried a Harbor Freight Nutcracker for $5.00, and it bent the tool's nut aperture, but didn't crack it.

Bought an american-made $20.00 one from CRAFTSMAN and it will crack anything, with its very sharp hardened tip.

I have seen others that have a flat chisel piece that could be used to get more purchase on a nut to unfreese it. That might be even more useful.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Do you have acess to impact tools? I would leave your vise grips where they are and impact the nut off. Or try some heat on the nut and try wrenching it off.

·
X
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ha.
Thanks, I'll pick up one of those nut splitters, I ended up grinding the nut off, then cutting the center link in half to get it out.

Pretty exciting, thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
252 Posts
If you have enough bolt to grab, use an IRWIN Bolt-Grip. The bolt can br round and iy will get it out. Especially good on Torx screws, About $8.00 at a quality tool dealer. Just tap it lightly so it can grab and crank away with a 3/8" ratchet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts