Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's time for new tires for my 2012 X3 2.8i. I'm headed to Costco in the morning to see options. Looking for suggestions, both for size of sidewall and for brand/model of tires.

1) Pretty sure I'm going with NON run flats to replace the OEM tires. Looking to decrease road noise.

2) The 245/50R18 stock tires look a bit puny with all the empty space in the wheel wells. I'm thinking of going to a 55 or 60 profile tire. So 245/55R18 or a 245/60R18

3) Costco has a sale on Michelins through Sunday. They also have some Bridgestone Dueler's in stock.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any advice or help much appreciated. Costco doesn't have anything in stock that fits the car, they will not install anything other than what's specified on the door sticker (won't even go from 50 to 55 on sidewall) and cannot source BMW compatible TPM sensors.

They say that going from 50 to 55 will damage the transmission and mess up the computer.

Help! If someone has done this before, please advise.

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
I'm with you on ditching the run-flats, but keep the same size.

Tire noise is a function of the tread design and tread depth. A lot of times, tires will start roaring when they're worn out. I went through a bunch of Michelin PS's, and they'd start roaring when they got old. I still have 5/32nds inch of tread on my current PSS's and they're fine, though. The big advantage of the non-RFT's will be the greatly improved ride. They'll also be cheaper and last longer, and you'll get about a 1% improvement in fuel economy.

Using an oversize tire could cause something to start rubbing, especially when the steering is all the way to one side or the other. It will also reduce the value of the vehicle if you sell it with those tires on it.

Increasing the aspect ratio (the "50") will make the car sluggish under acceleration, make the speedometer read low, and make the brakes less effective. You know all those jacked up 1/2-ton pick-ups with oversize tires you see around? Some of them couldn't lock up their brakes if their life depended on it... literally.

If you ditch the RFT's, you'll need to look into getting a spare and a jack. Bimmerzone.com and others sell mini-spares specifically for the F25. It will take up a lot of your cargo area, though. (That's why we didn't buy an F25 and waited for a G01 with a spare under the raised cargo area floor.) With a spare tire, a floor jack, and some hand tools, you can DIY your own tire rotations every 6k to 8k miles and get a lot more miles out of your next set of tires.

Unless you want your rims scratched up, make sure the shop that does the work has a "lever-less" tire machine that does not touch the outside of the rims. Tire Rack's website lists local recommended installers and what type of equipment they have. From the type of tire machine, you can do a Google search and see if it's lever-less. Tire Rack has just about every brand, model, and size tire made on Planet Earth. Tire Rack also has BMW compatible TPMS sensors. I haven't bought a tire from anybody else in over 25 years, and I've bought 50 tires from them.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
@Autoputzer - Exactly the kind of informed advice I was hoping for. Thanks.

I believe I'm going to go with Hankooks. Same size as OEM. The specs are 245/50ZR18 100W Han Ventus S1 Noble2 h452

Our local Tire Engineers can get them shipped by Tuesday and out the door including a new TPM sensor is $895 + Tax

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any opinions on Tire Engineers for install? I need to confirm they have the rim-safe "lever less" mounting machines.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts