Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is 1110K miles time for front wheel bearings?

I'm started to hear what sounds like tires especially when turning at low speed. My other question is Timken or KSF brand?

I have good luck with Timken maybe I should stay with them?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
LOL congrats on reaching 1.11 million miles (1110k). It is probably time for new front wheel bearings by then. :)

I once thought my 2012 X5 35d needed a new front wheel bearing around 110k miles. Turns out it was tire noise which sounded and behaved exactly like a front WB on its way out. It was about due for new tires anyway and that fixed it. It sounded like tires because that's exactly what it was and not a wheel bearing.

The car got an alignment after getting new tires. The data during alignment showed the left front to be slightly out of spec. It was not out enough to affect how the car drove but was out just enough to show up as extra wear on the left front tire when it was time for a set of 4 new tires.

The tires do get noisier as it gets close to time for new tires even if the alignment is good.

My 2012 X5 35d is only at 212k miles and still has the original wheel bearings.

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,493 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Is 1110K miles time for front wheel bearings?

I'm started to hear what sounds like tires especially when turning at low speed. My other question is Timken or KSF brand?

I have good luck with Timken maybe I should stay with them?
Any visible signs of abnormal wear on the front tires?

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL congrats on reaching 1.11 million miles (1110k). It is probably time for new front wheel bearings by then. :)

I once thought my 2012 X5 35d needed a new front wheel bearing around 110k miles. Turns out it was tire noise which sounded and behaved exactly like a front WB on its way out. It was about due for new tires anyway and that fixed it. It sounded like tires because that's exactly what it was and not a wheel bearing.

The car got an alignment after getting new tires. The data during alignment showed the left front to be slightly out of spec. It was not out enough to affect how the car drove but was out just enough to show up as extra wear on the left front tire when it was time for a set of 4 new tires.

The tires do get noisier as it gets close to time for new tires even if the alignment is good.

My 2012 X5 35d is only at 212k miles and still has the original wheel bearings.

LOL! Told you I'm getting old. But thanks for sharing your experience.:thumbup: Guess, I'm just going to wait for awhile. Very good info to know yours is at 212K and still going fine. In a month the Summer's tires are going in, I should be able to tell the difference.

If I recall correctly, BMW has an objective standard of wheel bearing replacement criteria. IIRC 0.5 mm TIR radial and axial.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/...als/36-wheels-with-tyres/36-10-wheels/7Eh7FmT
Thanks for the manual and specs.

Any visible signs of abnormal wear on the front tires?
Not that it is obvious but will take a closer look.
The tires I have are snow, none RFT and aggressive so that maybe why I hear more?

PS. I see you're a big fan of Diesel.:thumbup:

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've been fooled by this - replaced the front wheel bearings on my g8 after two sets of tires - summer and snows - were making "bearing-like" sounds. Turns out the noise persisted after replacing the bearings but went away when replacing the tires. The fault in my approach is that BOTH the summer and winter tires were worn to the point where they were making excessive noise.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
LOL! Told you I'm getting old. But thanks for sharing your experience. Guess, I'm just going to wait for awhile. Very good info to know yours is at 212K and still going fine. In a month the Summer's tires are going in, I should be able to tell the difference.

PS. I see you're a big fan of Diesel.
That's 212k miles on the original wheel bearings and no issues with them. I thought it might need a new left front WB around 110k miles but I got fooled by the left front tire until I replaced all 4 tires. I was expecting to have to replace some wheel bearings before 200k miles after hitting my share of potholes on the bad highways in MA.

My VW TDIs I owned years ago always seemed to need a set of front wheel bearings about every 120k miles. I never had to change a rear wheel bearing.

After 17 years and over 900k miles of diesel ownership, there is absolutely no way I am going back to anything that runs on gasoline again if I can help it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
A significantly worn out differential can also cause "noise" that sounds similar to a failing wheel bearing. Worn out tires are another more probable cause... If the noise is hard to localize from side to side, I'd guess one of these two. Failing CV Joints are another cause for "noise" when turning...

Wheel bearings can fail a bit prematurely for a variety of reasons; anything from poor installation, individual driving habits, to environmental considerations, as well as non-stock wheels w/ different offset / scrub radius, to alignment & worn out suspension components. Failing wheel bearings that are making noise are typically pretty easy to localize for which wheel is causing the sound...

In my experience: For significantly worn out front wheel bearings that are not yet making noise, depending on your driving style / competency, it can often be subtly perceived as a very slight increased spongy feeling of the brake pedal when driving aggressively / taking corners hard, or long durations driving on the highway without ever actuating the brakes. The additional axial runout of a significantly worn out wheel bearing causes the brake rotor to push out the brake pads a bit further away from the rotor than spec when rounding corners aggressively, where hard application of brakes afterwards has a bit more than expected travel / slightly unpredictable initial bite; however, worn out brake components can also cause similar effect...

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yup. You guys were right!:thumbup:

Swapped out the Winter's tires with Summer's and boy, X5 ever feels so smoooooooth!!!

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am glad you discovered the difference between summer and winter tires :D :rofl::rolleyes:
I know. Better late then never, right:)

But man the sound and feel of of my current Winters are so much like wheel bearing that I started to believe it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts