BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
X5 bas a loud rattle at idle. Just started yesterday. Had it towed to mechanic. He wont replace lower tensioner because if the engine "loads" up and loses timing upon replacing chain tensioner, he doesnt have 2k tool to retime. Every diy person says nothing about this and is an easy diy. Another BMW shop will reace for $300. Any help or suggestions would be helpful. Thank you!

·
Registered
340 Posts
I dont recall the s63 have any lower tensioner or other than the only tensioner that***8217;s located on each cylinder head between the bottom of the cam gears.
But for $300 thats a good deal. Getting to the tensioner requires a lot of removing whatever is in front of it ( fan , intercooler, hoses etc.).
Check make sure your oil is full or change the oil. These thing runs off oil pressure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya my X5 has one external tensioner and 2 with removal of timing chain cover and a lot of other things. Just want to know if I change out external tensioner which is on passengers side if the timing may change. Getting mixed messages by 2 local mechanics.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts