Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No because it doesn't wear

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Timing chain tensioner: is it worth replacing as preventative for high mileage N20?

I personally feel that the guides cheap thin plastic breaks and causes the chain to oscillate and cause the destruction. Is it possible to change the guides without a mechanics 12hrs of labor?

It also seems like the oilpump chain can fail first (in that case you hear the whine and have to replace everything anyways) so that is outside this discussion because the noise will tell you what to do.

Edit: Notice in the picture I do see broken guides but not broken chain. Has anyone seen otherwise?

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
there is a TSB from bmw that shows to replace these guides and chain for vehicle made before 03/2013 . i think if the vehicle is made before 03/2013 then is a good idea to do so

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I changed it at low mileage on my X4 with the N20 motor. Surely there is a reason why BMW has used at least three different models of this part. And I assume "newer is better." There are some visual differences and the spring on the latest version also seemed stronger. Anyway, here is a link to my DIY on the X4 forum.

·
Registered
101 Posts
thank you for the link, seem the tensioner seem to be an easy replacement . or you made it look easy !....

might consider it. seem to be cheap insurance.

·
Registered
535 Posts
there is a TSB from bmw that shows to replace these guides and chain for vehicle made before 03/2013 . i think if the vehicle is made before 03/2013 then is a good idea to do so
So When the 2014's came out in about April 2013 they have new improved guide?

My 2014 X1 s28i was built approx may 23rd, 2013.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts