BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Brevity = soul of wit
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to get my windows tinted, from my research at 35% all around.

Obviously I will get this done by a reputable installer whom I already contacted and set the price as well as an date/ time with.

How does one go about insuring that the installer will use the film you are paying for indeed?

If I pay for Formula One Pinnacle film and because the customers are not "allowed in the installation bay as per insurance guidelines", how do I make sure I don't end-up with Solar Gard film on my windows?

Any suggestions?

·
Flying monkey herder
8,166 Posts

Obviously I will get this done by a reputable installer whom I already contacted and set the price as well as an date/ time with.

How does one go about insuring that the installer will use the film you are paying for indeed?

If I pay for Formula One Pinnacle film and because the customers are not "allowed in the installation bay as per insurance guidelines", how do I make sure I don't end-up with Solar Gard film on my windows?

Any suggestions?
color?

my huper optik has a bluish green tinge unlike dyed poly. it also has a very distinct reflectivity.
plus i've known my installer for 7 years. he lets me watch while he installs, the release liner is imprinted with huper optik ceramic.

i'm not sure what pinnacle looks like...

if you're willing to go with huper optik, i can recommend an installer :)

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,879 Posts

Any suggestions?
Well, ya know at some point you just have to trust people to do the right thing.

·
Flying monkey herder
8,166 Posts

·
"Clunker" *****
4,684 Posts

Any suggestions?
If you have read many posts on this forum you will know that all business owners are honest upright citizens and do not need to be suspected of nefarious behavior or require regulation by the authorities. In the words of another poster, fugeddaboudit: trust he capitalist marketplace to do the right thing.

·
Brevity = soul of wit
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
color?

my huper optik has a bluish green tinge unlike dyed poly. it also has a very distinct reflectivity.
plus i've known my installer for 7 years. he lets me watch while he installs, the release liner is imprinted with huper optik ceramic.

i'm not sure what pinnacle looks like...

if you're willing to go with huper optik, i can recommend an installer :)
Yes, the color should be a way to discern the right film but I cannot tell them appart personally.

I know you praise Tom Kovach's work. Could you please comment on his work as far the dots-matrix area goes on the rear window? Or even post a picture if you don't mind?

Well, ya know at some point you just have to trust people to do the right thing.
You are right but I dislike that feeling and was hoping to read some original ideas.

Thank you though.

·
Registered
236 Posts
After seeing both Madico tint and F1 Pinnacle tint, I chose Madico (100% ceramic like the Huper Optiks). You can find a certified dealer for Madico near Manhattan here: [linky-poo]

I highly recommend the MAC3000 "high-definition" film, since that's what I got. A certified tinter will tell you that there is little they can do about the dot-matrix issue, but since I have an E90, it's really not that much dot-matrix on the rear window to begin with. There's really a 50-50 chance the tint will stick, but there are a couple things you can do to better your chances, like keeping your car in a heated garage for a couple days during the curing process (or just waiting for warmer weather in general). My installer also did laser-cutting on the edges of the window so that the tint looks factory-like.

Also, if you get it installed by the certified dealer, they'll give you a warranty card which states the serial # of the roll of tint they used, as well as the roll's date, their shop's name, etc. If you really don't trust them you can easily call Madico and verify the roll #, etc.

Like with Huper Optik's, it'll be easy for you to see if they installed the Madico. Just take a look at it in three different situations... 1. in sunlight it'll look mirrored, 2. in the dark it'll look black/charcoal, and 3. on a cloudy day it'll look grayish and reflective. I think with the Pinnacle, however, it'll look black/charcoal in all three conditions, so it'll be harder to figure out.

I've heard good things about the Pinnacle as well, but after seeing it in person, and reading the specs, I liked the Madico more. The Huper Optiks I saw were also very nice, but some had a bluish or greenish tinge when looking outside from the inside, and that bothered me. The Madico, on the other hand, is very neutral in color and remarkably clear, even in the dark (ie. you won't have to roll down the window to parallel park at night, even if you get the darkest tint).

Good luck with your decision, and post pics when you have it installed!

Oh yeah, and I forgot to add... I wouldn't trust a tinter who doesn't allow you to wait and watch if you want... albeit it's a tedious job, and probably even more boring to watch.

·
Brevity = soul of wit
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thank you so very much for your post. Exactly the type of insight I was looking for.

I wasn't familiar with Madico. You rarely read about it.

Based on what I had read, the upside of HO and Pinnacle films (both ceramic) is that you don't have to go with the darkest tint to reject the max solar heat. The HO film rejects 60% of the heat even at 35% VLT. Heat rejection is the main reason I am tinting my windows. I am also hoping my car looks better by doing so.

Did your installer cut the film to the dimensions of the windows before starting the install process?

I agree with your last bit: why couldn't the customer watch?

I will definitely post pictures when done.

·
Flying monkey herder
8,166 Posts
Thank you so very much for your post. Exactly the type of insight I was looking for.

I wasn't familiar with Madico. You rarely read about it.

Based on what I had read, the upside of HO and Pinnacle films (both ceramic) is that you don't have to go with the darkest tint to reject the max solar heat. The HO film rejects 60% of the heat even at 35% VLT. Heat rejection is the main reason I am tinting my windows. I am also hoping my car looks better by doing so.

Did your installer cut the film to the dimensions of the windows before starting the install process?

I agree with your last bit: why couldn't the customer watch?

I will definitely post pictures when done.
if you arent set on pinnacle, i can recommend my tinter, tom kovach from the art of tint. he's the only certified HO installer in the tristate. he's very familiar with bmw's. i got my windows tinted in early may, i had one of the first march 07 build cars where they had gone to single felted window gaskets. he felted the unfelted portion of the gasket; without knowing to do this, i would have ended up with vertical scratches in the tint. inexperienced tinters that dont know to do this, well, on e90 post there are quite a few people with later production cars that ended up with their installers either cutting off part of the gasket or repeatedly scratched tint that needed replacement.

as for install...
basically, the tinter lays out the film on the exterior of the glass, cuts it using the frame of the window. curved glass is heatshrunk. the release layer is removed, adhesive side and glass is wet down, and then the tint applied. hardcard and squeegee is used to press out the water, and the tint dries in about two days. thicker film like HO takes abot a week to completely dry and clear...

this is huper 30 in various light conditions (you can see the greenish tinge)

·
Brevity = soul of wit
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thank you for the pictures. I see the mirror look. Are you also of the opinion that HO looks blueish/ greenish when looking through it from the inside out?

So if I were to go with Tom for the install and because I don't like the mirror reflection/ look and the blueish/ greenish hue, I'd have to go with Solar Gard which is the only other film he carries other than HO.

·
Flying monkey herder
8,166 Posts
Thank you for the pictures. I see the mirror look. Are you also of the opinion that HO looks blueish when looking through it from the inside out?
light greenish in HO 30
HO 50 which is on my 330i is a little more bluish green.

i honestly dont notice the color change from the inside. probably because of how close you are to the glass inside vs out.

the mirror effect is probably about midway between a dyed poly and full metal. all ceramics i've seen have it to a degree.

its highly lighting dependant.
let me see if i can find pics of my S60R that was tinted with HO 30. its going to look a little darker on this car as it had laminated side windows, which made the glass a little darker.

·
Brevity = soul of wit
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had read on another forum that the glue on the HO is better at dealing the dots-matrix on the rear window (the person stating this was comparing with it to the Solar Gard film). So I'd go for that but disliked the reports I kept on reading about the blueish hue and now the mirror look you guys mentioned.

Here is the thread I had read about the blue hue: link.
But the pictures on that thread are taken on a sunny day so it'll look different depending on the weather I suppose.

So your BMW has the HO 50? You had written HO 30 right above the first pic.

The HO 30 on your Volvo looks good, in particular on the last picture.

I guess, lighting conditions, angle and variables associated the photography gear really make it hard to get a good "feel" for what the film is like in reality.

Thanks to the good advise from you guys and your pictures, we got this thread going: hopefully we see more and I hope it'll help others researching this topic as well.

·
Flying monkey herder
8,166 Posts
my 330i has HO 50
my 335i (the one in the pics) has HO30

do you have a coupe/vert or sedan?

dotmatrix is only really a problem with the vert/coupe.

tom can handle it either way.

·
Brevity = soul of wit
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a 2008 E92 335i coupe.

So you'd recommend I go with the HO 30 despite my objections?

Do you have pictures of the HO 50? I'd love to see it as well.

·
Flying monkey herder
8,166 Posts
I have a 2008 E92 335i coupe.

So you'd recommend I go with the HO 30 despite my objections?

Do you have pictures of the HO 50? I'd love to see it as well.
my brother has the car... got HO 50 as the car is in MA and we couldnt figure out if they checked tint as part of their yearly. there up to ~38vtl is legal.

its basically the same color as the HO 30 but lighter.

i would go with tom either way. he does an awesome job and he is a really good guy. i personally would do the HO 30.

i would talk to tom with your Q. he wont push the HO even though its more expensive, he'll recommend the best for your needs.

http://www.theartoftint.com/contactus.html

·
Flying monkey herder
8,166 Posts
whatever you put on is going to get insance veritical scratches, so you probably shouldn't think too much.
not if the tinter knows what he's doing. and tom does.

i have 0 scratches on my tint despite having a post 3/07 build car. that was when they changed to single felted gaskets front and rear on the e90.

the window gasket needs to be felted on both "wipers" or else the tint will get scratched by grit getting caught between the hard rubber and the film. it makes sense if you've seen the inner door gasket at the bottom of the window.

it looks like this:

|/
|/

Pre 3/07 cars got double felted wipers, the protruding edges are covered in a fuzzy material. post 3/07 only has the upper wiper covered in felt, the lower wiper is hard rubber. thats what scratches the tint. half assed shops either dont bother with felting it, or just cut the lower wiper off. the former results in vertical scratches, the latter results in increased noise in the cabin.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts