BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my car to a local tint shop, highly recommended by the BMW dealer as well as the place that does body work for the BMW dealer.

They said when they put the tint on the BMWs, they have to go in to the door and remove one of the sealers/squeegies/felt liners that the window rolls down through. He said they have to do it because if they don't it will scratch the tint. He said they do it on all the BMWs that come through.

Anyone had any experience with this?

I'm not too excited about having them cut something out of the door that probably helps keep water and gunk out of the interior of my door.

·
Flying monkey herder
8,170 Posts
I took my car to a local tint shop, highly recommended by the BMW dealer as well as the place that does body work for the BMW dealer.

They said when they put the tint on the BMWs, they have to go in to the door and remove one of the sealers/squeegies/felt liners that the window rolls down through. He said they have to do it because if they don't it will scratch the tint. He said they do it on all the BMWs that come through.

Anyone had any experience with this?

I'm not too excited about having them cut something out of the door that probably helps keep water and gunk out of the interior of my door.
my tinter just felted the unfelted wiper.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What does that mean? He installed felt on the unfelted pieces?

·
Flying monkey herder
8,170 Posts
What does that mean? He installed felt on the unfelted pieces?
yup

the problem is, the gasket in front and rear has two wipers.
in front, the top wiper is felted, the bottom unfelted. in the back, both are unfelted. the hard "rubber" will leave scratches in the tint when dirt or grit gets in.

my installer covered the unfelted wipers with self stick felt.

no scratches a year later.

they should NOT be cutting the gasket.

·
woodie5
140 Posts
My installer did not put felt on the windows and it did leave scratches. Taking it to another installer that knows what he is doing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My installer did not put felt on the windows and it did leave scratches. Taking it to another installer that knows what he is doing.
Same here...my drivers side window has a huge scratch in it now. I called the installer and he told me that scratches are not covered under the lifetime warranty. Not once did this guy mention any solution to the problem....maybe I need to find a better shop.:mad:

·
Registered
1 Posts
yup

in front, the top wiper is felted, the bottom unfelted. in the back, both are unfelted. the hard "rubber" will leave scratches in the tint when dirt or grit gets in.

Did your shop have to take off the door panels to apply the felt? I have the same vertical scratches and need to get the tint re-applied by someone who knows what they're doing. The dealership says my tinter used cheap material. I've gone to another tinter and he says he can just apply the new felt on top of the existing gasket that has felt, without taking the door panels off. He did not know that there's already some felt there. Thanks

·
*Da Butter Pecan Papi*
2,261 Posts
:yikes::dunno:

I got my windows tinted without them having to remove anything in the car. Two whole years have gone by and the tint still looks perfect. :dunno:

·
Flying monkey herder
8,170 Posts
:yikes::dunno:

I got my windows tinted without them having to remove anything in the car. Two whole years have gone by and the tint still looks perfect. :dunno:
06's had felted gaskets front and rear.

·
Flying monkey herder
8,170 Posts
Did your shop have to take off the door panels to apply the felt? I have the same vertical scratches and need to get the tint re-applied by someone who knows what they're doing. The dealership says my tinter used cheap material. I've gone to another tinter and he says he can just apply the new felt on top of the existing gasket that has felt, without taking the door panels off. He did not know that there's already some felt there. Thanks
memory is fuzzy, but if i remember correctly, he was able to just release the top of the panel to get at the gasket. he didnt remove the whole panel

·
Registered
493 Posts
:dunno: no problems here in FLA..they know how to tint. Voting in Presidential elections is a different issue however.

·
Registered
81 Posts
yup

I know its an old post, but I realized I had scracthes this morning on my tinted windows and wanted to search for an answer. What are the "wipers" you are referring to? Are they just bars that hold the window in place on each side?

Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
That is my understanding. I have these scratches on mine as well and it has only been a few weeks since I got them tinted. I am just going to wait now that I already have the scratches and eventually get the felt from the site linked in the other post and then get them re tinted. If you use a heat gun to soften the adhesive you should be able to peel the tint off slowly without leaving a residue. Then just take it and get them redone. A shop will likely charge you extra to do this. Also, I would recommend installing the felt yourself by following the instruction from this site on how to take the door panel off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts