BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Car Junkie
3,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is a good tint job really as durable and reliable as they say these days? I've always thought that a little tint would really help to preserve the interior and enhance my car's looks, but I'm concerned that tint will start to peel at the edges and fade over time. Plus, if I ever decide to remove it, I'd be very worried about the defroster lines on the rear windshield. Am I just being a worrywort?

·
•••••••
16,117 Posts
Jetfire said:
Is a good tint job really as durable and reliable as they say these days? I've always thought that a little tint would really help to preserve the interior and enhance my car's looks, but I'm concerned that tint will start to peel at the edges and fade over time. Plus, if I ever decide to remove it, I'd be very worried about the defroster lines on the rear windshield. Am I just being a worrywort?
I had the same fears, but got over them. Went with a reputable (expensive) tint shop, who uses Formula One tint with a lifetime warrantee against those issues.

Yeah, I'd be worried about the defroster if they had to remove it, but IMO it was worth the risk. It looks great, and definitely keeps the interior cooler!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Jetfire,

I have had my last two BMW tinted. It is definitely worth it. I have a great shop that I can recommend for you. Good prices and they do a great job. He tinted the car I have now, and the rear is a one piece and the job is clean and perfect.

·
Car Junkie
3,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Ben, are you talking about Tint Shop in Rockville? I almost took my Pontiac there, before I decided not to keep the car.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Jetfire said:
Hey Ben, are you talking about Tint Shop in Rockville? I almost took my Pontiac there, before I decided not to keep the car.
No, no no. They will charge you about 200+ to tint your car. It's BS.

The place is in College Park....Fresh Designs. Doug is the owner there. Right off 495 on Route 1 on the right, immediately after Cherry Hill Road. You should be able to do about 120 or so on a weekday. They use high quality tint and warranty their work for the life of your car against bubbling, peeling and such....

·
Registered
258 Posts
As with almost all things, there is good tint and bad tint, as well as professional installers who know what they are doing, and morons that will butcher the job.

Personally, I have had my tint for 4 years now, it was applied professionally and looks perfect today. Go with the highest quality tint and have it installed by a competent professional, and you'll be fine. I have Formula One Millenium, and I have been very satified with its ability to keep the interior cool.

·
In Mod Heaven
2,763 Posts
Jetfire, I had my last car tinted after one week of picking it up. I sold the car a few months ago and the tint still looked as perfect as the day they put it on. The car is over 5 1/2 years old.

Most good tint shops offer a lifetime warranty. They will have stipulations like if you use an ammonia based window cleaner, you won't be covered. You definitely want someone who can do the rear window as one piece.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I think the biggest thing is to get high quality tinting film. I did the rear windows on my old Civic myself, and it still looked perfect after 4 1/2 years.

Plaz, I think that's 1 of the most beautiful shots of OB I've ever seen. Looking good! :thumbup:

·
•••••••
16,117 Posts
Parump said:
I completely agree with Plaz's observations. Formula 1 - keeps the interior cool without totally obscuring the windows.
I think they make a 28% and a 15%, too... if that's more your thing. I went with 38% to avoid:

1) Looking too "street racer"
2) Getting hassled by cops

It usually looks darker to me in person than it does in that pic. That was taken under very bright late morning Arizona desert sun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.