Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have their windows tinted and driving around NYS?

Law states 70% minimum light transmission which makes it almost a waste of money to get them done. Does anyone have any anecdotal evidence that its worth getting them done? Any inspection places that will turn a blind eye? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,495 Posts
I don't know about NYS, but in jurisdictions where tinting is an issue, cops often carry light transmission measuring devices. They are small simple and cheap.

I helped a friend install window film for tinting and security.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have had tinted windows on my cars as far back as 1984 on my Z28. So far so good. Having said that, I intent to leave this crap State ASAP.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts

Law states 70% minimum light transmission which makes it almost a waste of money to get them done. Does anyone have any anecdotal evidence that its worth getting them done? Any inspection places that will turn a blind eye? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!
If you are tinting for privacy, you are correct but that is why it is illegal. Traffic stops are incredibly dangerous for police officers and that danger increases when they can't see clearly inside.

If you are tinting for temperature and to prevent damage to your upholstery, then what is important is not the tint percentage but the quality of the tint. I live in greater Phoenix so I tinted my windows with a high quality nano tint not for privacy but for the two reasons I cited above.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts

I never heard of an inspection place raising issue with tints.
It does give cops a reason to pull you over

·
Registered
146 Posts
70% is good enough...if cool is your goal

3M Crystalline is ceramic...I live in SE VA and used 70% for all sides and 60% for the sunroof on a dark exterior/ semi-dark interior. I owned the car during the early summer prior to film...post-film was instant comfort. Cannot over recommend. Only challenge is front windshield...thinking about a 3" to 4" band across the top...70%...or maybe 90% to keep unobtrusive. Would like to hear others' thoughts.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
The law regarding tinting in NY State only went into effect in January of 2017, so in inspections prior to that they didn't care. I know several folks who had tinted glass who only got dinged recently.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
...I live in SE VA and used 70% for all sides and 60% for the sunroof on a dark exterior/ semi-dark interior... Would like to hear others' thoughts.
VA state police have a "thing" about speeders & leap at any other opportunity to add to the state coffers. Many carry tools to measure tint percentages & don't mind using them. My nephew was stopped on I-95 on the way to northern VA on a visit from NC. Received a fine & had to remove his illegal tint. I read so many instances on the BMW forums of owners applying overly dark tint & having no problems with LEOs. I guess it depends on where & when you drive as to if/when you'll get nabbed!

Virginia Window Tint Law
Enacted: 1999
Window tinting laws vary from state to state and province to province. Before applying any window tinting materials, you should thoroughly review the appropriate state regulations as well as local enforcement policies to insure compliance with all applicable standards.

HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN Virginia
Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In Virginia, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.

Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed along the top of the windshield above the manufacturer's AS-1 line.
Front Side Windows Must allow more than 50% of light in.
Back Side Windows Must allow more than 35% of light in.
Rear Window Must allow more than 35% of light in.

HOW REFLECTIVE CAN THE TINT BE IN Virginia
Similar to sunglass lenses, some tinting film contain metallic elements that help in reflecting incoming light and reducing the glare and heat generated by visible light.

Front Side Windows Must not be more than 20% reflective.
Back Side Windows Must not be more than 20% reflective.

https://tintlaws.com/

·
Yabba Dabba Doo!
363 Posts

I live in upstate NY. Have/had 35% tint all around. Never once been pulled over. First time getting an inspection after the law took effect, my shop had me remove the tint off the front two windows. The light meter is connected to the inspection process now. They didn’t want me to drive out of their shop
with a fresh inspection sticker and get pulled over with tint. Is some hefty fines for the shop. But they didn’t care about my back windows. I peeled the fronts off myself. I haven’t re-tinted them. They look fine and the transition between the front and the back isn’t that bad.
There are places that’ll take your tint off for an inspection and reapply it for a price, but that’s just silly. NYS is a joke. It’s hard to skirt this law.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I live in upstate NY. Have/had 35% tint all around. Never once been pulled over. First time getting an inspection after the law took effect, my shop had me remove the tint off the front two windows. The light meter is connected to the inspection process now. They didn’t want me to drive out of their shop
with a fresh inspection sticker and get pulled over with tint. Is some hefty fines for the shop. But they didn’t care about my back windows. I peeled the fronts off myself. I haven’t re-tinted them. They look fine and the transition between the front and the back isn’t that bad.
There are places that’ll take your tint off for an inspection and reapply it for a price, but that’s just silly. NYS is a joke. It’s hard to skirt this law.
When did this law that you speak of take effect? Just had my car inspected in September, 2018 with no problem.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
VA state police have a "thing" about speeders & leap at any other opportunity to add to the state coffers.
Are there any states that do not stop speeders? If you are concerned about adding to the coffers in Virginia the solution is obvious.

Many carry tools to measure tint percentages & don't mind using them. My nephew was stopped on I-95 on the way to northern VA on a visit from NC. Received a fine & had to remove his illegal tint.
Interesting comment. I wonder if anyone driving in Virginia was fined for and had to remove legal window tint.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Many, many years ago I worked as a police executive. The most dangerous activity was traffic stops. Police approaching a car need to be able to see inside to see if someone has a weapon or is getting a weapon ready.

Dark tinting may look cool but it IS dangerous for police officers.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
1. Are there any states that do not stop speeders? If you are concerned about adding to the coffers in Virginia the solution is obvious.
2. Interesting comment. I wonder if anyone driving in Virginia was fined for and had to remove legal window tint.
1. I attend The Vintage BMW gathering in NC each spring. Attendees from other states making the trip frequently comment that enforcement is VA is the most stringent compared to neighboring states. It's been >5 years since I had to pay a high-speed driving tax!

2. I don't know if they pick more on out-of-state vs. in-state, but I know VA residents that have also been fined & had to prove the illegal tint was removed/made legal.

·
Yabba Dabba Doo!
363 Posts
When did this law that you speak of take effect? Just had my car inspected in September, 2018 with no problem.

January 2017.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
1. I attend The Vintage BMW gathering in NC each spring. Attendees from other states making the trip frequently comment that enforcement is VA is the most stringent compared to neighboring states. It's been >5 years since I had to pay a high-speed driving tax!

2. I don't know if they pick more on out-of-state vs. in-state, but I know VA residents that have also been fined & had to prove the illegal tint was removed/made legal.
I think i posted this a while back.
Do not speed in VA

https://jalopnik.com/never-speed-in-virginia-lessons-from-my-three-days-in-1613604053

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Many, many years ago I worked as a police executive. The most dangerous activity was traffic stops. Police approaching a car need to be able to see inside to see if someone has a weapon or is getting a weapon ready.

Dark tinting may look cool but it IS dangerous for police officers.
Could you use this logic to argue that houses should be made of clear glass so that approaching cops feel safe?

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Could you use this logic to argue that houses should be made of clear glass so that approaching cops feel safe?
No because (a) it wouldn't work and (b) approaching houses has not proven to be as dangerous as traffic stops. Your argument can be summarized in three latin words: reductio ad absurdum.

Furthermore...driving is a privilege and housing is not.

It comes down to whether a car owner's desire to "look cool" should supersede the safety of police officers.

But if you want police to approach your car with gun drawn, because they can't see inside, good luck to you.

·
Yabba Dabba Doo!
363 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
No because (a) it wouldn't work and (b) approaching houses has not proven to be as dangerous as traffic stops. Your argument can be summarized in three latin words: reductio ad absurdum.

Furthermore...driving is a privilege and housing is not.

It comes down to whether a car owner's desire to "look cool" should supersede the safety of police officers.

But if you want police to approach your car with gun drawn, because they can't see inside, good luck to you.
1 - my post was not an argument, but a question. You must be a pretty insecure person to get all defensive and start making assumptions about others just for asking a hypothetical question. Yes, it was on the absurd side, but to demonstrate a point.
2 - how about wearing clothes? I could be hiding a gun in my pants. Should we all go around naked to ensure safety of police officers?

To summarize for the less understanding, freedom erosion starts with small things and then grows on and on. Instead of the glass houses, imagine the gov't required every house to have inside cameras, that police can access before approaching to ensure their safety. Would you be okay with that? We could also prohibit people from owning guns, to ensure safety of police officers. That sounds far more effective than prohibiting dark window tint? Why not do it?

Policing is not a safe occupation. People who choose to become LEO know that ahead of time.
Where does the line get drawn between their safety and citizen's freedom before a country becomes a police state?

Please note, the punishment for dark tint is monetary. If i am a criminal, i'll just pay the fine and continue on with my illegal business with tinted windows. That leads me to conclude that the gov'ts motive is at least in part monetary, and safety is secondary convenient talking point.

I grew up in country that is a police state, and it does not take long for the police to become corrupt to the core, to a point where there is very little difference between them and the criminals. That taught me to have the same amount of respect for both.

BTW, i don't tint my windows

1 - 20 of 20 Posts