BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered by 330i Sparkling Graphite, Black interior, Sport, with 6sp. :thumbup:

So now I'm dreaming about mods.

In the past I've always had beige interiors, but opted for Black Dakota Leather this time. You know cleaner, sleeker, longer lasting. So I'm thinking of options to reduce summer heat.

Any Pictures of tinting the windows on the e90 out there? Ohio will let me go 50F and 50B, but I think I'd prefer them a little lighter. Just trying to get a feel.

Any idea's out there. Or other suggestions?

Started production Friday June 10, and already wondering if I'll be able to wait.

·
Registered
391 Posts
My car is silver but I have 30% black tint on the side windows and 50% for the rear glass, it doesn't seem like much but it's just enough to keep the interior a tad more cool, and because the inside is black, you don't see much in the bottom of the car, but you can see through those windows to the outside easily.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I plan to get a grey20% tint. It's darker then we are aloud by law. I think they way you guys are talking, my tint would be 80%. I found it a bit weird driving at night, but i soon got used to it, and it's not a problem.

No police ever pulled me over for having too dark windows.
I'm gonna drive my car for a while, to check that there are no rattles or anything, and then i might let them tint my windows.

·
Registered
2015 335 M-Sport Mineral Gray
6,346 Posts
Wolf359 said:
My car is silver but I have 30% black tint on the side windows and 50% for the rear glass, it doesn't seem like much but it's just enough to keep the interior a tad more cool, and because the inside is black, you don't see much in the bottom of the car, but you can see through those windows to the outside easily.
You tinted your rear window much lighter than the side glass?:dunno:

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Broken1 said:
I plan to get a grey20% tint. It's darker then we are aloud by law. I think they way you guys are talking, my tint would be 80%. I found it a bit weird driving at night, but i soon got used to it, and it's not a problem.
You got it right. The % quoted should be VLT (Visible Light Transmitted). An 80% tint would be very light.

One thing I would highly recommend is that people should not shop on price only. Your spent a lot of time researching the car you wanted and you should do the same with the tint you want on your car. Tint prices can run from $99 to over $500 here in the States and there is a reason for that, just like your BMW cost more than a KIA. A lot of people are concerned with radio interference because of the antenna embedded in the rear window. If that is a concern of yours, than you should look into a non metallic film such as ceramic films.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yea, I agree.. I did some serious shopping for my old car. It seems the cheaper stuff bubbles, and cracks and gets scratched easily and even fades.
I only will go for the lifetime guaranty kind...from a reputable place that's been there since i can remeber!

On my last car, i didn't have a single problem with it, aside from a scratch on the inside that someone from my car wash did while cleaning the window.

Edit > The limit in this country is 35% ...what is the limit in the US? I would get GREY20% (darker than the limit) but I've never been stopped with it...so...

·
Registered
202 Posts
I don't know if this happens anymore, but a friend was driving through Kansas and a highway patrolman stopped him and made him peel off the tint on his windows because it was too dark. This was at least eight years ago. Has this happened to anyone?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I got a fix it ticket about 15 years ago for the tint on my 320i. I totaled the car befor I got around to getting the tit fixed.

Never heard of any one having to peel it off, not sure that is even possible with a decent tint job.

I friend of mine who just got the windows on his Z4 done said his tint place will fix it for free if you get a ticket. They did a nice job to.

I am still not sure how dark I want to go on my new TiAg 330i. I saw one being picked up at the dealer the other say with a really dark tint. It looked good, and was very well done, but was a little too "pimp my ride" for my taste.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks

Just to clarify onebuc. your wife's car windows are 30% VLT or the other way around it seems the thread has been twisting the numbers around a little.

Thanks for the pics.

Originally Posted by Broken1
The limit in this country is 35% ...what is the limit in the US? I would get GREY20% (darker than the limit) but I've never been stopped with it...so...
The US is typical of a bunch of different goverments trying to solve the same problem. Each state has a different law regarding the tint.

This website appears to have some up to date info on laws. auto window tint

·
Registered
391 Posts
LDV330i said:
You tinted your rear window much lighter than the side glass?:dunno:
Hehe, no, it's the other way around... I sait the sides were 30% black (So 70% light) and the rear is 50/50... :rofl:

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Bonezilla said:
I don't know if this happens anymore, but a friend was driving through Kansas and a highway patrolman stopped him and made him peel off the tint on his windows because it was too dark. This was at least eight years ago. Has this happened to anyone?
Here in TX the installer must install a sticker on the driver's side that certifies that the tint complies with TX law, VLT is not less that 35%. If no certificate (decal) is present them the police officer will presume that your tint is illegal. It will be up to you to go to the judge and prove otherwise.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I was just talking with Policeman here in Georgia last week on tinting. Not sure when it will take effect, but whether or not your car is registered in GA or not, or even if you have a sticker saying it is legal in your state. If your tint is too dark they will issue a ticket. So beware if coming through GA. I’m not sure what the limit is or will be at this time.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Anyone know what % tint is allowed by law in New Jersey?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm getting 20% all around on thursday. I have never had an issue with police saying tint is too dark in Maryland. The law i believe is 50% on the front and 35% on the back.

·
Registered
270 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think tint looks great on a car. Personally I like 50% tint. It's just dark enough to look cool and not get stopped by the police.

·
Registered
18 Posts
oh330i, not really sure. I was told 30% was the darkest for Florida and that most were getting it, so I went with that.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I would tint it the same percentage all-around. Doesn't look too hot having it lighter in front than it is in the rear windows.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts