BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
oh330i said:
Just ordered by 330i Sparkling Graphite, Black interior, Sport, with 6sp. :thumbup:

So now I'm dreaming about mods.

In the past I've always had beige interiors, but opted for Black Dakota Leather this time. You know cleaner, sleeker, longer lasting. So I'm thinking of options to reduce summer heat.

Any Pictures of tinting the windows on the e90 out there? Ohio will let me go 50F and 50B, but I think I'd prefer them a little lighter. Just trying to get a feel.

Any idea's out there. Or other suggestions?

Started production Friday June 10, and already wondering if I'll be able to wait.
I have the 330i with same color scheme as you and I just got the windows tinted yesterday. 35% on the front 4(driver f/r, pass f/r) and 20% on the back window and 5% on the sunroof, it is looks great. The darker shade on the back window and the sunroof make the front 4 appear darker than they are. I'll post a picture tonight, weather permitting to get a good picture.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Question

If you're driving interstate and your tint is too dark for that particular state, will you get in trouble?

My car has the darkest allowed by Florida law which is 85% blockage in the rear windows and I think 80% in the front.

Take a look below.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 335 M-Sport Mineral Gray
6,346 Posts
zentenn said:
If you're driving interstate and your tint is too dark for that particular state, will you get in trouble?

My car has the darkest allowed by Florida law which is 85% blockage in the rear windows and I think 80% in the front.

Take a look below.
My recollection from living in FL was that legal limit was 35% VLT on the side windows. I just checked the webpage that was mentioned in a post above and I believe I am correct in my recollection. The law in FL refers to a composite VLT of 28% (glass and film). Since cars already come with tinted glass any film with a VLT of less that 35% in front windows would make you illegal. The back door windows and the rear window can be tinted to provide a composite VLT of 15%. That webpage also mentions that in FL just like here in TX a decal is supposed to be affixed on you car showing law compliance. (That was not done when I had my car tinted in FL)

Each installer or seller of sunscreening material shall provide a pressure-sensitive, self-destructive, nonremovable, vinyl-type film label to the purchaser stating that the material complies with the provisions of ss. 316.2951-316.2954. Each such installer shall affix the required label to the inside left door jamb of the motor vehicle. In addition, the label shall state the trade name of the material and the installer's or seller's business name.
Also as mentioned in an earlier post that the standard way to reference film opaqueness is using the the VLT (Visible Light Transmitted) number, not blockage.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm not interesting in approaching anywhere near the maximum allowable VLT... I just want tint that is more or less functional and doesn't significantly inhibit nighttime vision. What VLT level would accomplish that?

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
resker said:
I'm not interesting in approaching anywhere near the maximum allowable VLT... I just want tint that is more or less functional and doesn't significantly inhibit nighttime vision. What VLT level would accomplish that?
There are several factors to consider when trying to decide on a tint, VLT is just one of them. Here are some others:

• Solar heat rejection capability
  • Radiowaves interference
  • Reflectivitity (mirror effect)
  • Price
  • Warranty
Film basically comes in three types:

• polyester films, these are the most economical but tend to fade/bubble and come with a warranty that at most are 2 years long.
  • metallic film. these are a little more expensive and they may go from 150 to 300 dollars. Some brands carry several lines of metallic films at different prices with each having different performance characteristics. Some are heavy into the mirror look and some minimize this effect but it will always be present. They also may interfere with radiowaves, on BMW's with the antenna embedded in the rear window.
  • non metallic films, in this category you will find ceramic films and high quality polyester films. They tend to have a high heat rejection factor. They also eliminate the issue of radio wave interference. The ceramic films tend to be expensive between 400 to 600 dollars. Ceramic films also do not have the mirror effect of the metallic films. There are 2 brands of ceramic film: Huper Optik and FormulaOne Pinnacle. Other non metallic films are 3M and Madico CharcOOl (not CharcOAl).
Solar heat rejection is somewhat independent of VLT. V-Kool film has good heat rejection but are produced in the 70% VLT. So this is good if you are not into the tint look.

You may want to look at how the tint would look on your car. In my case my film looks very dark because I have a black interior. With a lighter interior your film would also look lighter.

Sorry I could not give you a straight answer but given you more issues to think about. :bigpimp:

·
Registered
261 Posts
LDV330i said:
There are several factors to consider when trying to decide on a tint, VLT is just one of them. Here are some others:

• Price
  • Warranty

• polyester films, these are the most economical but tend to fade/bubble and come with a warranty that at most are 2 years long.
  • metallic film. these are a little more expensive and they may go from 150 to 300 dollars. Some brands carry several lines of metallic films at different prices with each having different performance characteristics. Some are heavy into the mirror look and some minimize this effect but it will always be present. They also may interfere with radiowaves, on BMW's with the antenna embedded in the rear window.
  • non metallic films, in this category you will find ceramic films and high quality polyester films. They tend to have a high heat rejection factor. They also eliminate the issue of radio wave interference. The ceramic films tend to be expensive between 400 to 600 dollars. Ceramic films also do not have the mirror effect of the metallic films. There are 2 brands of ceramic film: Huper Optik and FormulaOne Pinnacle. Other non metallic films are 3M and Madico CharcOOl (not CharcOAl).
Solar heat rejection is somewhat independent of VLT. V-Kool film has good heat rejection but are produced in the 70% VLT. So this is good if you are not into the tint look.

You may want to look at how the tint would look on your car. In my case my film looks very dark because I have a black interior. With a lighter interior your film would also look lighter.

Sorry I could not give you a straight answer but given you more issues to think about. :bigpimp:
See now that is a great post. This is why I love bimmerfest.

I had tr read like 20 diffrent threads and do a bunch of diffrent google searches to find all of that info and then LDV gives it to you all in one place (wow I am starting to sound like an infomercial...for one low price of 19.95 but wait there is more!)

I will be getting a very light ceramic tint om my TiAg 330. Yesterday i took a walk around the parking lot at work. Hundreds of cars with varrious window tints. The thing that bugged me was when the drivers window is not tinted or tinted very lightly and then rear side wind was super dark. It just looks cheesy. But it is the law

With the dark interior (black) I need to do something to keep the heat out. As for the look a little bit a dark on the glass contrasts nicly against the silver, but too much looks tacky.

·
Registered
145 Posts
will-san said:
See now that is a great post. This is why I love bimmerfest.
Yes, agreed - thanks to LDV330i for the info! I'll guess I'll be pursuing a ceramic film w/ high VLT, high heat rejection properties, and low reflectivity.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I found an tint installer in San Jose called Auto Mall Tint Factory and he quoted about 500 for a install of Huper Optiks. This guy seems really really good and was recommended on several boards and is active on the window tining forum at TintDude.com

Check out his website for a bunch of pictures of different tint/film combinations. Quite a few Bimmers there!

http://www.automalltintfactory.com/

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
LDV330i said:

• Price
  • Warranty

Wow, I'm very impressed with your knowledge :clap:

So. I'm as I to assume that if I don't have a sticker on my car indicating that I'm in compliance with my states law I might get pulled over if I'm in another state? I'm just wondering because I'm driving to New Jersey next month for a family reunion and to show off my new Bimmer :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
zentenn said:
Wow, I'm very impressed with your knowledge :clap:

So. I'm as I to assume that if I don't have a sticker on my car indicating that I'm in compliance with my states law I might get pulled over if I'm in another state? I'm just wondering because I'm driving to New Jersey next month for a family reunion and to show off my new Bimmer :thumbup:
Thanks. The least I can do is share why I know just as others here on BF have done so.

All states do not require that you have a decal showing that you comply with the law. Even if they do and are similar in wording to what is required here in TX and FL, it just says "Complies with (law number)" which to out of state people is meaningless. In many states compliance with the law is verified by the officer stopping you. He uses a light meter to determine your VLT.

Having said the above I would not worry about it too much. You will not be required to comply with local law as long as your car is registered in another state. One good example of this are the smog laws. Many NE states have adopted CA standards but people from other states are allowed to bring in their cars into those states and drive without being asked to comply the more stringent smog standards. For peace of mind you may want to carry a copy of your tinting receipt which will hopefully show the film VLT and a copy the law from your home state allowing that VLT. That information can be obtained from the link in an earlier post.

As an aside I brought my 318ti from Florida where it had been tinted. I got it registered here in TX and drove it for 5 years and I was never stopped. The lack of compliance sticker could have been grounds for a ticket since the car was now registered in TX. I guess I would have gone before the judge with my proof that my tint was TX legal. :dunno:

21 - 30 of 30 Posts