BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you collect your tools from the trunk of you new baby, please put in them in your CHECKED baggage. The screeners at the security checkpoint at the Munich Airport confiscated everything but the tow hook (which oddly is by far the largest and heaviest item :dunno: ). Hopefully you all can avoid the same fate!

That is all :)

·
"Clunker" *****
4,684 Posts
When you collect your tools from the trunk of you new baby, please put in them in your CHECKED baggage. The screeners at the security checkpoint at the Munich Airport confiscated everything but the tow hook (which oddly is by far the largest and heaviest item :dunno: ). Hopefully you all can avoid the same fate!

How about the spare tire? Do we check that or is it a carry-on?

·
Registered
856 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts

Thanks for sharing, but you should post in this threaad: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216054

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yep, just took redelivery today and my tools and plates were in the trunk.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
NO need to bring tools with you - only first aid kit and triangle. I remove BMW west, flash light, Beewang DVD, manual, valet key

Attachments

·
Running around in circles
3,638 Posts
Sorry they took your tools.
I wasn't going to take mine but Peter insisted so I did but I put mine in the checked in baggage.

·
Registered
451 Posts
The tools are insured. You only have to remove the first-aid kit and warning triangle from the trunk.
It isn't insurance issues with the first aid kit and warning triangle, but US DOT regulations. Neither item is approved by the DOT so BMW can't legally import them on the vehicle.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Common Sense

Why did you take the tools? They are standard equipment with the car and will arrive safely with it.

And with the renewed emphasis on security (however dubious the real value of those security measures), there was not a chance in hell those tools were coming home in your carry on...

·
Registered
4,749 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Since the tools are standard on US cars, I would imagine that if they were missing your dealer would have to replace them.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I did the same thing and thought I was in for a full cavity search by Jack Bauer. The supervisor didn't even quesiton why I had a car tool kit with a screwdriver in my backpack. They let us put it in a small bag my wife had and gate check it. Had I been Muslim I would probably be in Guitanmo by now.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Just curious, anyone who took their tools with them find another set in the car upon redelivery? I know I didn't and wondered why VPC hadn't . This suggests to me that if your tool are left in the vehicle and don't make it home you are out of luck. Obviously one could go through the hastle and delay of filing an insurance claim but unless your dealer is willing to do it for you the average claim process eats up at least a day of work.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,695 Posts
Just curious, anyone who took their tools with them find another set in the car upon redelivery? I know I didn't and wondered why VPC hadn't . This suggests to me that if your tool are left in the vehicle and don't make it home you are out of luck. Obviously one could go through the hastle and delay of filing an insurance claim but unless your dealer is willing to do it for you the average claim process eats up at least a day of work.
The dealer has to file the claim anyway. You should really have no involvement in the Allianz claims process. If it's below $5000, it's covered without any approval necessary.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
The dealer has to file the claim anyway. You should really have no involvement in the Allianz claims process. If it's below $5000, it's covered without any approval necessary.
That is reassuring to know. In rereading my post I see it was a bit confusing. I had taken my tools with me in my checked in luggage (no problems getting back) but half expected another set to be in place from VPC in the same way they replace or add floormats on some models. Recently I have had to deal with a chipped window on a rental car and the paperwork and hastle involved with that over what ended up as a $200 reimbursement from my credit card company took at least six hours of my time between filling in forms and getting information for the rental car company's agency and my credit card company. The irony is it appears the rock chip either occurred when the car was parked on the rental car company's airport location after I had turned it in or was from a prior chip that expanded since the first I knew anything about it was over a week later when their representative contacted me claiming they only discovered it after my rental. Last I heard was the rental car company still wanted an extra $100 for "loss of use" and a $50 administrative fee that my credit card company has challenged. The chip was apparently out of the field of vision which means if it was my car, my insurance company would have required me to have Novus squirt some glue into it for $25 rather than replace the whole windshield. Since it takes less than an hour to replace a windshield and they rent the car for less than $50 a day, I'm not sure where they come up with their claims loss of use amount.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts