BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
5,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to shoot the Burj al Arab here in Dubai when I was told I couldnt use a tripod because they dont allow it.

Anyone have any tips to get a good shot or do I just have to steal one?

·
Keeping it surreal
43,254 Posts
I assume you`re shooting digital, not film....set the ISO setting to the highest number, use manual exposure, with the largest aperture available and 1/60th second exposure time, which is usually the lowest you can handhold.
This would be the perfect situation to employ the old "chainpod", which is nothing more than a screw that fits into your tripod socket with a 4 or 5-foot length of small-diameter chain (or a length of nylon strap or what have you) One end of the chain remains on the ground under your foot, as you pull upward slightly on the camera, using isometric tension to steady the shot....

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
Rather than arbitrarily selecting 1/60, usually the reciprocal of the focal length (35mm equivalent) is the lowest shutter speed for hand holding. For example, if you're shooting at 18mm on a camera with a 1.6 FOV crop, then 1/30 sec should be safe. If you're shooting at 200mm, then 1/320 is your target shutter speed. IS or VR will give you some breathing room there.

Definitely shoot at the highest ISO where the noise is acceptible to you.

You can also brace yourself against solid objects to try to steady yourself that way. If there is a flat surface that you could set the camera on, then you might try putting down a beanbag (or a folded thick cloth or the like) for the camera to rest on, then use the self timer to actuate the shutter.

·
Empowered Consumer
4,042 Posts
If there is a flat surface that you could set the camera on, then you might try putting down a beanbag (or a folded thick cloth or the like) for the camera to rest on, then use the self timer to actuate the shutter.
Resting the camera and using the self timer can work well; well enough that you don't have to necessarily jack up your pics with ISO settings that may end up being too noisy.

Alex

·
Casey!
17,665 Posts
Whatever you do, don't give me the camera.

Signed,
Michael J. Fox

·
Casey!
17,665 Posts
image stabilization is designed for that! especially once the control loop converges to his oscillation frequency.
Or you could just let me take the picture.

Signed,
Christopher Reeve

(ok, I've gotten the "bad taste posts" for the day out of the way :D)

·
Running around in circles
3,638 Posts
It's not uncommon for public buildings such as museums or galleries to forbid the use of tripods. Flashes too. They interfere with other patron's enjoyment of the facility.
Flashes also emit UV. A big no-no in a room full of priceless artifacts.

Edit: How about a monopod that doubles as a walking stick? Manfrotto has one I think.

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,461 Posts
Not sure what lenses you own Ashe, but a FAST lens is a must for this purpose.

You can get by without spending much $; check out the 50mm f/1.8, it's a good fit with your digital Rebel.

·
Casey!
17,665 Posts
Not sure what lenses you own Ashe, but a FAST lens is a must for this purpose.

You can get by without spending much $; check out the 50mm f/1.8, it's a good fit with your digital Rebel.
Yup - its a fantastic lens and you get change from your $100 bill! :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts