BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got some chips and scratches on the front of my car that i wanna take care of using touch up paint. Im thinking of dabbing some on a Q-tip or small brush, and then dabbing it on the car. After its dried can I buff it out with a cloth, or would i need an orbital??

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Don't let it dry too long and apply a little alcohol on it before you buff...It'll soften the touch up paint a little. Otherwise you'll have to use a harsher cutting agent (like Machine Polish 1 from Griots) to get it smooth. Be sure to immediately wax it afterwards.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
///Mathew said:
oooh no one ever told me about that alcohol tip. Thanks for the info
I found that out in the detail forum, either Haus posted it or Ripsnort.

·
Registered
27 Posts
no need to wet sand

I had a few small chips next to the front headlights. I had my fine grit sandpaper all set to wet sand with but after I dabbed a few coats of alpine white on the chips with a toothpick I found that it looked fine and I didn't even need to sand. Also, I accidentally spill the white paint on my black bumper; wife's nail polish remover worked like a charm on the plastic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.