BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Familienwappen
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a call from my dealer yesterday to set date to do the paperwork for the 535xi they quoted a price of $890 for 5 years coverage. Is that a good deal or average?

·
Sejanus
5,785 Posts
That quote is a fairly good deal in my opinion. I paid $1100 for this protection in February. At $890, you would recoup your cost at 2 replaced tyres.

·
Registered
450 Posts
That seems like a very good deal, just make sure to read the fine print in the contract. Is the insurance through BMW or a third party? Replacing one run-flat tire will cost you at least $300, so $890 for 5 years is pretty good.

·
Registered
429 Posts
That is very good if it's BMW's policy. If you're planning on staying with the OE RFT definitely worthwhile.

On the other hand if your planning other tires or wheels, no point.

·
Familienwappen
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haven't made up my mind about staying with the OEM RFT or not. Guess it depends on which brand is on it when I get it at PCD on the 18th. Suspect that is will be something other than GY, but what...?

Am pretty much convinced that in either case will get a set of Beyern's and winter tires for the nasty part of the year. Mainly because even with good A/S tires my 10 degree (yes, degree not %) drive with any measurable amount of white stuff is near impossible to get up and if your leaving you'd better pray that someone doesn't come around the corner because you aren't stopping - even with locked wheels - until all the car's weight is on the road! :yikes:

Unfortunately will not know if it's through BMW or third party until next Monday.

Can't wait until PCD, the track time and the planned twisty and hilly road trip are going to be a BLAST. :D:roundel:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Also reliability seems to depend on what size wheels you have. Anecdotally 19's seem to be more prone to failures. What size are you going to have? What packages did you get?

·
Familienwappen
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As my sig says: 535xi Space Gray, Venetian Beige, ZPP, ZP2, ZDH, ZSP, 2TB, and as we all know the ZSP automatically adds the suspect 19" wheel with probable GYs. Bang, bang, double whammy. Plus I've yet to find why the staggered sizing. If same width wheel can be used all around on this car then winter tires will be easier and also perhaps the replacement with same size for summer which will open a number of possibilities in tire choices. To say nothing about longer tire tread life due to rotation then being possible. But since maxing budget on the car, winter and possible summer replacements are going to have to wait for awhile.

·
Registered
93 Posts
As my sig says: 535xi Space Gray, Venetian Beige, ZPP, ZP2, ZDH, ZSP, 2TB, and as we all know the ZSP automatically adds the suspect 19" wheel with probable GYs. Bang, bang, double whammy. Plus I've yet to find why the staggered sizing. If same width wheel can be used all around on this car then winter tires will be easier and also perhaps the replacement with same size for summer which will open a number of possibilities in tire choices. To say nothing about longer tire tread life due to rotation then being possible. But since maxing budget on the car, winter and possible summer replacements are going to have to wait for awhile.
can't see the sig from the iPhone App. The good news is your tires will actually be all the same size since you got x-drive. Bad news is yes they'll probably be the dreaded Goodyears. I'd strongly suggest either getting the insurance and watch for bubbles carefully, or scrap the tires from day one and don't bother with the insurance and get Michelins or Bridgestone non RFT's and a mobility kit. Literally dozens on threads on the issue if you're thinking of making the switch.

Greg

·
Familienwappen
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
can't see the sig from the iPhone App. The good news is your tires will actually be all the same size since you got x-drive. Bad news is yes they'll probably be the dreaded Goodyears. I'd strongly suggest either getting the insurance and watch for bubbles carefully, or scrap the tires from day one and don't bother with the insurance and get Michelins or Bridgestone non RFT's and a mobility kit. Literally dozens on threads on the issue if you're thinking of making the switch.

Greg
Didn't know about the app problem. Not so sure about everything being the same size. Propaganda seems to be contradicting; x-drive=same size, but add ZSP=staggered sizes. Highly suspect the later as that matches what has been published to tire houses and the fact that the tires listed even though profile is diff the size difference makes them equal as far as circumference. So no problems with different rolling speeds to confuse the powertrain computers. Boy, sure hope they aren't the GYs though, maybe I'll be lucky since this is a late Feb build and maybe, just maybe, BMW was out of GYs when they got to mine.

·
Registered
217 Posts
3rd Party Insurance

Dealer offering both BMW and 3rd party insurance coverage from company named In-Tire. BMW policy covers OEM BMW wheels and BMW Approved Tires (those with the Star) only. I am putting NRF tires on car and believe those will not be BMW Approved (yet) as they are Pilot Super Sports. The In-Tire policy covers OEM wheels and any tire I choose plus covers road rash repairs. Claims are through dealer just like BMW policy. Price for BMW policy is $1149 and 3rd party policy is slightly less. Both are for 5 years.

Question is whether anyone has purchased a policy from In-Tire and if so what has been your experience? Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts