BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed another tire blister the other day.

This comes after just replacing another tire last month that got a huge gash on the inside shoulder.

This will be the 4th tire I've replaced due to blistering, not counting the first one I noticed and had replaced when I bought it not quite 3 years ago.

If you're doing the math...$$$$$$

Fortunately I had purchased the extra 3rd party road hazard insurance, which has more than paid for itself. But it tends to run a little short on the full amount, so beyond the inconvenience, the dollars are still adding up here.

I thought it might be because they are run flats, but my SA said that the issue is more with the low profile.

I'm running staggered with 245/40R20 front, 275/35/R20 rear, with the Goodyear Excellence run flats.

I haven't entirely made up my mind about run flats vs. regular...certainly like the peace of mind run flats provide without a spare (adding a spare just isn't a viable option).

While I like the look of the 20", it is becoming too expensive.

Anyone have any experience moving to 19" or 18" and blistering?

I'm sure blistering is always a possibility on any tire. I'd prefer to go to the 19" rather than the 18", but if it is only marginally better then it may be smarter to just jump to the 18" and save the headache and expense.

·
Registered
610 Posts
You certainly are not alone on this. I had one bubble on the same brand tire. But, there are really not that many other options on 20" runflats. I think even the 19" tires have this bubble issue based on the 5-series discussion forum. Higher profile tire is the probably the best answer.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
I have the same size wheels as you, but Style 301 and have had far more failed tires and bent rims during my wheel and tire insurance policy.

Once my policy ended, I changed to conventional Continental DSW 06's and regret not doing so upon delivery.

The ride, comfort, sound and look is not only better, but I've hit treacherous potholes with no damage.

Whereas a most minor road imperfection above 40 mph would damage a run flat.

Good luck and let us know your decision!

The Conti's are also nice in that there's more lip to protect from curb rash.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Ditto. I ditched the RFTs as well after a sidewall blew out and I barely made it to the dealer...so much for their 50 miles at 50mph claim!

I initially had the 19" with RFT and now run 20" Conti DWS. Even with a lower profile tire the Contis are a much better driving experience all around...especially in the snow.

Switch over sooner rather than later...you won't look back!

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
runflats tend to bubble and destroy themselves over potholes vs traditional tires since they are almost solid rubber. This allows for very little flex over irregularities and can cause the rubber to separate inside the tire.

Trying to go to a higher profile tire may slow down the damage but it will still occur. Switch to a traditional tire and you'll be much happier.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the feedback.

The idea of not having to buy a whole other set of rims is certainly appealing.

I have to admit, my own personal experience of 4 flat tires involved 1 being a runflat, which I wasn't comfortable driving on and had the car towed anyway; and three others on regular tires, 2/3 of which were severe enough that I don't think they would have been driveable with runflats anyway.

Okay, so warming up to this idea.

Anyone have any experience with something like this ContiComfortKit?

Then again, maybe a $7 can of Fix-a-Flat is just as good.

I know the SA's and service techs always seem to "frown" on any of these sealants, but wasn't sure if that was due to any potential damage or just a pain in the rear when they have to get the tire off.

Okay, any experience between these two: ExtremeContact DWS vs ExtremeContact DWS 06? TireRack has a closeout on the first one, though it appears to rate little lower on the performance ratings.
Cheers

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have the standard DWS and my parents just put the DWS 06 on their Mercedes. I will tell you they look similar however apparently Conti had changed the formulation of the rubber due to some instances of sidewall cracking on the original version. Other than this I believe the performance is the same.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback.

The idea of not having to buy a whole other set of rims is certainly appealing.

I have to admit, my own personal experience of 4 flat tires involved 1 being a runflat, which I wasn't comfortable driving on and had the car towed anyway; and three others on regular tires, 2/3 of which were severe enough that I don't think they would have been driveable with runflats anyway.

Okay, so warming up to this idea.

Anyone have any experience with something like this ContiComfortKit?

Then again, maybe a $7 can of Fix-a-Flat is just as good.

I know the SA's and service techs always seem to "frown" on any of these sealants, but wasn't sure if that was due to any potential damage or just a pain in the rear when they have to get the tire off.

Okay, any experience between these two: ExtremeContact DWS vs ExtremeContact DWS 06? TireRack has a closeout on the first one, though it appears to rate little lower on the performance ratings.
Cheers
Go with the newer DWS 06. The Older DWS have sidewall cracking problems.

·
Super Moderator
1,079 Posts
I used the Michelin PSS on my E38 and have used the P Zero on another car. The PSS are great. Wonderful feedback to determine at-the-edge-limits. Little Tramlining, very sticky and responsive. It's always been my go to tire. I would put them on my F01 if it weren't for the fact that the Runflats saved my rear 2x on the F01 (one time I drove down from SF to LA with a CRACKED rim and another time I drove to the office and back with another cracked rim, my day just went on and I was able to take care of the problem at my convenience).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay, my new DWS 06 from Tire Rack just arrived as did my Slime Safety Spair from Amazon...keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks again for everyone's input and feedback.

cheers

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Our roads are HORRIBLE ... but after having my 40 aspect Bridgestone RFTs beat to death on my '07 530xi I was slightly less nervous when my 535xDrive was delivered with 45 aspect Conti RFTs. The first few times I heard and felt the familiar BANG and thought, "There Goes ANOTHER RFT!" much to my PLEASANT surprise - NO HARM to tires or rims. And there have been a few more potholes that wanted to swallow me and my car but NO tire or Rim problems.

Net Net - I WILL NEVER NEVER NEVER run anything round and black with a profile lower than 45 / 50 aspect ratio. Maybe that prevents me from buying a new M5 anytime soon but I'll get over it. I'm simply not filling any crappy road holes with expensive tires of any kind - Run Flat or Go Flat!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thanks aom for your feedback. Did you noticed a big difference between the PSS vs the Pirelli tire? I also wonder if the stiff wall RF tires is the main reason why these rims are getting damaged on these cars. Maybe the conventional tires absorb the potholes without rim damage. Anyone here had blisters or rim damage with conventional tires?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Am looking at upgrading my tires and possibly wheels as well, due to three blisters in the same tire. Smh. Definitely ditching RFT and going back to traditional tires.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.