BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been victimized by the dreadful bulges on the sidewall on the Bridgestone RFTs. I ran over a pothole last week and surely enough, two bulges, both around 3-4" in diameter; developed on both my driver side tires. From the experience of other owners in the forum, I think two things are clear to me:
1. It's not safe to keep driving, at least not at highway speed;
2. With out tire/wheel insurance, BMW will not cover the replacement (my dealership offered it to me at around $900 for 3 years and I told them to go kiss it and didn't even both to negotiate it down).

Now, tirerack.com seems like the obvious way to go with this, but before I order, I was curious whether something like this is even repairable? Should I be concerned about the TPM if I use a local shop to install tires? Also, did anyone try to buy the tires and take them to a dealership for installation?

Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Bulges can't be repaired. You might try to get Bridgestone to replace them though. Assuming they are relatively new, they are under warranty. I had a tire bulge develop on a 6 month old tire once and they replaced it no questions asked.

·
Registered
568 Posts
First, you need to replace the tires. Secondly. the TPMS sensors are on the wheels so changing tires will not effect the TPMS system, although you may need to reset the system after the new tires are put on. I would advise not let anyone mount the tires if they do not have a Hunter GSP mounting system. Otherwise it is a crap shoot as to whether they can be balanced well enough not to have wheel vibrations and shimmies at higher speeds. Tire Rack does have recommended installers.

·
Registered
229 Posts
got one that looked like a golfball on the sidewall (my fault I did a power slide and hit the curb a little) but number one- replace the tire.

The cords in the tire have sustained damage- the result will be a complete failure at some point. Be safe.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Lucky you didn't ruin your suspension in the process.

got one that looked like a golfball on the sidewall (my fault I did a power slide and hit the curb a little) but number one- replace the tire.

The cords in the tire have sustained damage- the result will be a complete failure at some point. Be safe.
Someone on here broke the control arm and wedged the wheel so bad car had to flat bedded. Be careful with the stunts unless you have a lot of clear space. Suspension on this car is bloody expensive.

·
Registered
209 Posts
You will regret not getting the insurance. I purchased it with my 330 and used it at least 5 times getting rims straightened. When I picked up the 335 I had the CC out and ready - the winters are hard on PA/NJ roads and you cannot avoid the holes - especially when they are filled with water after a rain. The sidewalls are so short, you can't help but bend the wheels.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.