BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed all five lug nuts on my 530i, but the tire will not come off. There appears to be another nut in the center behind the BMW cap. Am I supposed to have a tool to loosen the center nut on the wheel???

·
Learning all the time
545 Posts
No, that is holding the hub on the half shaft. Just give your tyre (not wheel) some good bangs from behind with a lump hammer, or similar. Alternatively you can put a couple of lug nuts back on loosely and lower the car to the ground letting the weight of the car break the corrosion holding it on.

·
Learning all the time
545 Posts
Yes, sometimes the alloy can corrode and become well and truly stuck. If and when you get them off you could put some copaslip on all points of contact so it doesn't happen next time. All I can say is keep trying. They will come off - eventually. May need a bit of violence though.

·
Freude am Fahren
2,400 Posts
Loosen, but do not remove the lugs, then lower the car and let the car's weight break the wheel loose. You may have to push side to side on the car, or even roll it a bit, but that will break them loose.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I second that.....those wheels can really get stuck. Just be carefully while the car is on the jackstand etc etc please!!!! If you look carefully the inspections required to have the outer hub greased. I use anti-seeze around them and works great!

Rick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts