BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to buy a set of rear tyres / tires for my car. The link below shows all the possible brands from tire rack. (I will have some shipped from the US, these tyres are about a third of what they cost here.)

Two questions:

1. If I wanted to stay with RF, which is best - the OE Dunlops, or the Pirellis? Anyone with experience with the RF Pirellis?

2. Of all the other (non-RF) brands, which ones should I consider?

Thanks,

roadsta

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...30&rearDiameter=20&rearSortCode=59999&tab=All

· Registered
3,629 Posts
I'm interested in hearing what others have to say. I'm leaning toward replacing with RFTs as I'm happy with the performance and ride of my current Dunlops. The lack of a spare is a slight concern, but not a big one since I don't do much out of town travel plus the added protection of BMW Assist and AAA. I really don't want to have the added weight and decreased space that would result from putting a spare in my trunk.

Btw, did you hear anything from BMW after sending your nicely written letter - the one I stole and made a few individual adaptations to? Just curious.

Sorry for piggybacking/digressing, Roadsta :)

· Registered
650 Posts
If you go non-RF Michelin Super Sports or PS2s all the way. I'm a big fan of these tires from personal experience. But I am sure there will be other opinions. I recomend you read the reviews, etc on Tirerack's site. There is loads of info there.

· Sejanus
5,838 Posts
If you go non-RF Michelin Super Sports or PS2s all the way. I'm a big fan of these tires from personal experience. But I am sure there will be other opinions. I recomend you read the reviews, etc on Tirerack's site. There is loads of info there.
+1 for me on the Super Sports. I had the PZero run flats on my 135i and, having had experience with other run flats by Bridgestone and Dunlop, I would highly recommend the Pirellis if you go that route.

· Registered
1,219 Posts
On a car like the 650i replace the RFT.

Go with the best overall performance tire on the market, your high end performance 650i should match up with the same type of performance tire.

Why do you think BMW quotes a 0-60, 0.2 second faster time for an X Drive Coupe that weighs 170 lbs more than a standard 650i Coupe? It's not because the X Drive cars are faster. X-Drive cars actually medigate the lacking performance from a RFT.

RFT do not perform well under aggressive off the line acceleration. Plus you can add they are heavier, do not handle as well, last as long and cost more.

Replace with a set of Non Run Flats. I suggest PS2's. :D

· Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RFT do not perform well under aggressive off the line acceleration. Plus you can add they are heavier, do not handle as well, last as long and cost more.
One has to seriously question BMW in this area. Personally, I think they are too proud to admit they :flush:-ed up. Big time. It takes nothing to lose the one of the rears when accellerating, especially out of a corner.

They are so commtted to these tyres, intellectually and otherwise, that they cannot un-paint themselves from this corner.

roadsta

· Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Btw, did you hear anything from BMW after sending your nicely written letter - the one I stole and made a few individual adaptations to? Just curious.

Sorry for piggybacking/digressing, Roadsta :)
I will answer you on the original thread...suffice it to say it was an exercise in futility.

r

· Registered
3,629 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.