BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Original Continental RFs are shot. Only got 30,000 miles out of them. Pretty poor. On the other hand, I’m choosing to replace them with Pirelli RFs because I like the idea of run flats.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,513 Posts
Alignment, alignment, alignment. Inflation. Rotation.

Learn the effects of your alignment specifications and be responsible for your precise numbers.

·
Nuclear engineer
17,513 Posts
Nothing like the ride of new tires newly balanced and aligned!
Aligned for what? Mileage / drifting / racing? There is alignment and there is ‘alignment’, all in spec and for the mechanics convenience.

·
Nuclear engineer
17,513 Posts
I noticed they inflated them to 39 all around- not what the label on the car door says. Whats the deal??
Charge you book time, however long it took. Pressure for faster wear to sell you another pair. Trust AND verify.

We have one local full-service garage where I used to borrow their air to see tire pressures winter and summer. The LAST time I had laid out my winter***8217;s and the mechanic butted in and insisted on inflating them all to 44 PSI like it said on the sidewall - Maximum pressure. I have not been back.

·
Registered
10,697 Posts
As Dougie said.. "A.I.R." (Alignment, Inflation, Rotation).

Here's a cheat sheet of what wear pattern is caused by what alignment or pressure problems.

The recommended pressures on the door jamb decal are hit and miss. The trick is to measure the wear across the tires and then adjust the pressure accordingly.

RFT's wear faster than similar non-RFT's, and generally wear as if they are under-inflated (more wear on both the inside and outside of the tread). Over-inflation will fix that. But, then the RFT's will ride even worse.

If you have a square set-up (front and back tires and wheels the same size), rotation will even out the wear.

Attachments

·
You Don't Need to Know
3,055 Posts
Original Continental RFs are shot. Only got 30,000 miles out of them. Pretty poor. On the other hand, I***8217;m choosing to replace them with Pirelli RFs because I like the idea of run flats.

18"? I wouldn't call 30K miles for low profile tires "poor".

·
Registered
10,697 Posts
18"? I wouldn't call 30K miles for low profile tires "poor".
I had 5.5 to seven 32nds inch of tread left on my OE Goodyear LS2, 245/40-19 RFT's after 30k miles. I could have got another 15k miles out of them. But, I was fed up with how they rode and handled.

I'll easily get 35k miles out of the Michelin PSS's I replaced those miserable LS2's with. One more set, now Michelin PS 4S's, will get me to 100k miles when I get rid of the car.

I love selling a car with a "1" in the sixth digit of the odometer and four mostly worn out tires on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Original Continental RFs are shot. Only got 30,000 miles out of them. Pretty poor. On the other hand, I***8217;m choosing to replace them with Pirelli RFs because I like the idea of run flats.

Somewhat in order.
1. Performance/summer or normal all seasons tire.
2. Driving style.
3. Alignment.
4. Pressure.
5. Rotation.

FWIW the 328i has almost 70k miles on the original Michelin run flats. So high milage is not all that difficult.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Somewhat in order.
1. Performance/summer or normal all seasons tire.
2. Driving style.
3. Alignment.
4. Pressure.
5. Rotation.

FWIW the 328i has almost 70k miles on the original Michelin run flats. So high milage is not all that difficult.

Getting new tires is like the start of every new relationship.....magical, but you are fully aware that down the road things will get noisy, uneven, exaggerating every little bump and eventually you consider a replacement.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Getting new tires is like the start of every new relationship.....magical, but you are fully aware that down the road things will get noisy, uneven, exaggerating every little bump and eventually you consider a replacement.

So true that time and use take a toll. However my experience with the Michelin tires has been positive in all respects. I expect to get the same model.

·
Registered
56 Posts
tires

Some good and bad news. I just replaced about a year ago Pirelli cinturato p7 rft all season with the same tire. The original tires where pretty shot 3/32 at about 24k miles. Thats the bad news. Before I put on the new pirelli rft a year ago I was able to test drive non rft pirelli pzero for about 30 days. I can tel you that tire was far more compliant over bumps but made my xdrive even more floaty and bouncy. I decided to revert back to the rougher ride but better handling on the pirellli cinturato p7. Also I find the pirelli rft is not horrible in moderate Chicago snow.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Original Continental RFs are shot. Only got 30,000 miles out of them. Pretty poor. On the other hand, I’m choosing to replace them with Pirelli RFs because I like the idea of run flats.

OP, at the risk of sounding snotty, my personal opinion is that I do not want tires that last more than 25,000 - 30,000 miles on my car. Again, in my personal opinion (and experience), tires lasting more than that could be dangerous to the majority of the population. If you have significant car control skills and want to have fun, stop reading and my apologies.

I had experience with 60,000 miles thread warranty Michelin tire and, at that time, I was far from happy with them. Do they have a place on the market? Sure, I would be the first one to put them on my car if I was driving 1,000+ miles a week 95% Interstate. But frankly, that would be the ONLY application I see for them to be a good fit.

All of the above is only my opinion, not The Truth.

Good luck with whatever you choose to purchase.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OP, at the risk of sounding snotty, my personal opinion is that I do not want tires that last more than 25,000 - 30,000 miles on my car. Again, in my personal opinion (and experience), tires lasting more than that could be dangerous to the majority of the population. If you have significant car control skills and want to have fun, stop reading and my apologies.

I had experience with 60,000 miles thread warranty Michelin tire and, at that time, I was far from happy with them. Do they have a place on the market? Sure, I would be the first one to put them on my car if I was driving 1,000+ miles a week 95% Interstate. But frankly, that would be the ONLY application I see for them to be a good fit.

All of the above is only my opinion, not The Truth.

Good luck with whatever you choose to purchase.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Bimmerfest mobile app

Excellent points. Thanks!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts