Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I have a piece of glass about 1/4 in cut going thru my rear RFT on a bmw 550i, anyone have a specific "inside the tire patch kit" they would recomend??? or use a standard patch kit i can get at a local auto store.

Thanks for all replies!
joe

·
Registered
40 Posts
Depends... If the hole in the tire is located on the tread that meets the road it can be patch - not the sidewall. However there are a few things you should know and why most people/places say not to patch. For one, a run flat if driven while flat is really designed to carry a load for X distance and Y speed. Each mile traveled while flat will derogate the sidewall stiffness and have an overall impact to the OE performance since they are really designed for a one time use. If you realize you have a flat drive safely to tire repair shop. Avoid tight turns and keep your speed down. You want to make sure you preserve the tire as best as you can. Failure to do so will mean a new set of tires.

·
Registered
90 Posts
If the puncture is within the tread shoulders and the tire has not been driven any distance without air pressure, then it can be safely patched one time only. Had the same problem with my runflat Dunlop and it has been fine ever since. If you have a sidewall puncture, drove on the tire while deflated, or get another puncture, replace it immediately.

·
BMW Enthusiast!
5,679 Posts
What's a "Rub flat" tire?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
What's a "Rub flat" tire?
It refers to the process of gradually removing tread until the damn thing has the wall thickness of a common balloon, and thus goes flat on encountering a mere pebble in the road:rofl:

+1 on the prerequisites for patching a run flat. In my case, the car was parked w/o any indication of pressure loss, with a TPM warning the next morning on start up. I removed the wheel and brought it in for a patch w/o driving it.

Spyder

1 - 8 of 8 Posts