BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just took off the 07 stocks from my 525 and put on my 19"TSWs from my 01. Now, I've got the Tire Pressure warning lamp on. What can be done about this and is it normal with aftermarket wheels?

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
The TPM system uses sensors that are attached to the wheels--did you move them to your new wheels?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Harvick said:
Negative. Are they easy to spot?
Integral part of valve stems.

·
Registered
9 Posts
tire pressure monitor

Apparently this is a newer system used on 05 and later models. My 04 has a system which uses relative tire rotation speed. I've switched out to winter tires with 17" wheels vs. 18" stock sport -- and back, and the system appears to initialize and work. (My manual also confirms the "relative speeds of the wheels" methodolgy.) Of course I also read a test in a car mag that showed this "relative speed" method was not all that effective. So, it sounds like you folks got a better system, albeit one that makes wheel swaps more difficult!

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
CarlK920 said:
Apparently this is a newer system used on 05 and later models. My 04 has a system which uses relative tire rotation speed. I've switched out to winter tires with 17" wheels vs. 18" stock sport -- and back, and the system appears to initialize and work. (My manual also confirms the "relative speeds of the wheels" methodolgy.) Of course I also read a test in a car mag that showed this "relative speed" method was not all that effective. So, it sounds like you folks got a better system, albeit one that makes wheel swaps more difficult!
The tire pressure monitor started with MY07 E60 cars. Prior year cars have the flat tire monitor, which uses relative rotational speed of the 2 wheels on each axle.

TPM system have been mandated by law in the US, so very soon all cars will have it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts