BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
M3 User
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Saturday I was heading to a friends wedding and the tire pressure warning light went on. I stopped and check (visually) all tires and they look ok. I was able to drive back without any issue. When I arrived home I measured the pressure on all tires and the rear drivers side was lower by 3psi.

This situation made me consider buying an aftermarket TPMS that will measure each tire pressure at all times. I'm considering Hella TC-400 ($219).

Has anyone installed one?, What brand? How you rate it?
Where I can install the display? (I was considering below the a/c unit, inside the compartment)

thanks!
:thumbup:

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
Why not just check your tire pressures every week like you should? :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
....and the tire pressure light is not really checking pressure...it is responding to a different rotational speed of one tire that suggests a pressure issue....rough roads/potholes can trigger this ..nothing really beats reading the pressure at the valve stem...

·
M3 User
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I finish the TPMS installation... :D
...this is how the display looks:

if someone is interested, I took additional photos during installation (module, connections, etc.) let me know and will post them...

·
M3 User
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
here it is...

1. Remove glove compartment - I used the guide for the Valentine 1 radar detector.
http://webpages.charter.net/strysnie/M3/V1Install.html (glove compartment section)

2. Locate RF module in place:

In this step I also connected the 12V signals (I recommend using a multimeter):
a. One signal need a continuos 12V
b. One signal needs to be on/off with the ignition

3. Connect the ground wire (I used the same as the radar detector):

4. Remove compartment under the Air Control Unit & Install Display:

Instructions for removal:

5. Locate TPMS Display - I used Velcro

6. Route the Display wire to the RF Module & connect

7. Install glasses & glove compartments back.

8. Turn on the system and enjoy it!!! :D

After installation, I only have drive the car @ 30 miles. I noticed @ 4 psi increase from still to 60 mph and @ 20F. Reception is good. The system looks good, you can change the color of the display to match your car control panel.

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
Wow, lots of work and time, and money. I just use a tire pressure gauge. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts