BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am still pretty new to this forum, and maybe my search abilities are lacking, but I couldn't seem to find this info anywhere, although I've thrown out the question twice in tire threads.

I switched from OEM RFs to Conti DWS 225/50/16 on my 03 2.5i...ran the RF's at the recommended 30frt 33rear...and they seemed well balanced. I love the ride of the new Contis and I seem to notice a little extra ummph off the line possibly related to their lower weight(don't tell me this is placebo effect...let me enjoy it...haha) but there does seem to be more noticable flex at turn in...which is a bit expected....has anyone really tried varying tire pressures to make up for the more flexible sidewall? I'd love to have some feedback. Logic seems to say that a tire with a thick sidewall like the RF would need less air pressure to support the car and have the maximum contact patch compared to a tire with thinner non-rf sidewall.

If anyone has experience with varying pressures on this specific tire...Awesome....but any experience with various pressures with non-run flats would be very helpful. I know you autocrossers are always adjusting pressures looking for what works best for the conditions...

·
Registered
120 Posts
I changed myself this spring. What a difference! I switched to 18 inch and run 5lbs under max pressure. I just had to ruff a ride at the max and have better ride and traction. You can risk wheel damage if pressure is to low also. All tires are different to the feel but width and wheel size matters. With 16's You will have some wishy washy feel so closer to max may help but sacrifice traction.
I am no expert but hope this helps.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I changed myself this spring. What a difference! I switched to 18 inch and run 5lbs under max pressure. I just had to ruff a ride at the max and have better ride and traction. You can risk wheel damage if pressure is to low also. All tires are different to the feel but width and wheel size matters. With 16's You will have some wishy washy feel so closer to max may help but sacrifice traction.
I am no expert but hope this helps.
I hope that I am misreading your post, but the "maximum pressure" is not the recommended running pressure but the theoretical pressure the tire can handle.

Go with BMW's recommended pressure as a baseline, and take it up to 35 pounds all around to fine tune handling.

EB

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.