Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is a 325i w/ sp, and it curently has the OEM Contisports. Unlike many on the board, I don't really hate these tires-- they've never squealed, they've been fine in the rain, etc.

But, I often take long highway trips (in the northeast), and the tramlining tendency of the tires gets to be tiring and annoying. I have had an alignment, and I really don't think thats the issue. Its just the simple fact that 17" high performance tires tend to do this-- in fact, i've read that other tires like the pilot do it even more.

So, when I replace these tires, I'd actually like to replace them w/ a non high performance tire, which i'm hoping will lessen this tramlining tendency. On the other hand, I don't want a tire that's going to squeal around every corner. I recently read a tire review that included a new touring tire by Continental called the Contitouring extreme Contact. Its supposed to be a blend of an all-season and semi-high performance tire. This sounds like something I may be interested in. Do you guys have any other suggestions for good non high performance tires (that come in a 17" size).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Tramlining

I think the cause of the tramlining is the tire's width, not the stickiness of the compound or any other pewrformance issue. You might experiment with excess pressure or higher than normal caster. I find it is worse with well worn tires and they are less sticky than new ones.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
It seems to me that tires that have a solid circumferential band of tread (ContiSports, PZero Rosso, etc.) especially when its not just down the middle, have a tendency to tramline. :dunno:

I have a friend who's tried a lot of the 'high performance all season' tires and really likes the RE950, although I just looked and it comes in 215/45/17 and 235/45/17 but not 225/45/17

·
Registered
10,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
kaz (or anyone)-

do you know what the narrowest tire width is that will fit on the BMW 17" type 44 wheels? I'm guessing 205 would be ok, but i'm not sure.

·
10,856 Posts
Without driving your car, my comments can be taken with a grain of salt... However, I drove 300 miles today between 5 and 100MPH, and found that my 215/45-17 Bridgestone Potenza RE950s hardly pulled around at all. The RE950s tramline a LOT less than my old contitourings, even though they're a little wider. I highly recommend them, although I may very well go to S-03s next time around.

Whatever you do, don't buy the Contis. They are the worst tires of the bunch and tend to have the worst characteristics.

Another question: What pressure are you running your fronts at? Mine are currently at 42 PSI (rears at 36).

·
10,856 Posts
robg said:
kaz (or anyone)-

do you know what the narrowest tire width is that will fit on the BMW 17" type 44 wheels? I'm guessing 205 would be ok, but i'm not sure.
Looks to be about a 205.

·
10,856 Posts
And, uh, one other thing... The heft of the M3 wheel further reduces tramlining. I find it even easier to hold the car straight with one hand lazily draped on the wheel than before. :)

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
robg said:
kaz (or anyone)-

I wouldn't put anything narrower than 225s on a 17x8. Taking a quick glance at some tire specs, max wheel width for 205/50/17 appears to be 7.5. xi/non-SP 330 17s are 17x7, which are perfect for 205/50s.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts