Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which tire do you guys put on on you BMW X3? I am looking for a set of tire that are more quiet than the Pirelli P7. Do you guys have any recommendations?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Hi Tire recomendations

Hi there has been many many threads in the past about this. Have a search. I myself replaced mine with Non runflats. I feel the ride and handling improvements far outweigh the need for RF tires. I have a can of tire mouse and a compressor in the trunk for my unlucky puncture if it happens. The tires I chose are Altenzo, German design.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi there has been many many threads in the past about this. Have a search. I myself replaced mine with Non runflats. I feel the ride and handling improvements far outweigh the need for RF tires. I have a can of tire mouse and a compressor in the trunk for my unlucky puncture if it happens. The tires I chose are Altenzo, German design.
Good! Thank you for your suggestion!

I am not good at doing minor works on my car such as changing tires by myself. So I am still considering whether to give up run-flat tires.

·
Registered
75 Posts
All depends what you're seeking out of a tire and where/how you drive.

A good research point is tirerack.com.

What X3 are you currently looking to put tires on? And do you have a specific tire budget?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All depends what you're seeking out of a tire and where/how you drive.

A good research point is tirerack.com.

What X3 are you currently looking to put tires on? And do you have a specific tire budget?
I think I am not a fast driver. I will not do anything dangerous. I am looking for tires that is quiet and good for long-time trip. So it has to be quiet.

I have a xDrive 28i. 245/50 r18.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi. I just purchased my X3 xdrive28d (and it has been in the dealer for repairs since I purchased it anyway) - but the Goodyear RunFlats that are on the car are very firm. I will ride them out until they are worn for replacement, but once they are done, I will replace with a non-RF tire. This is from experience. I had RF on my S550 when it was new. They were HORRIBLE. The RF tires tend to ride like a forklift, which is to say the sidewalls are so stiff that you feel all of the small imperfections in the road, and you also give up some handling. Not worth it in my book.

I am likely to go with something like a Michelin Pilot Sport A/S or a BF Goodrich G-Force Comp 2 A/S. Both of these are not RF.

You will need to add an inflator pump with sealer, but many cars have this from factory, including my wife's minivan. It is a much preferred method for ride than keeping RF on the car. Add to that, how often do you actually get a flat tire? If you are like most people, it has been years between flats.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Check out Michelin A/S 3+, all season performance tires or Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus which is also an all season performance tire.

Both are non-runflats. See tirerack.com for reviews.

·
Registered
75 Posts
RFs are like riding on plywood. Horrific.

Buy at America's Discount Tire. I think you're in Los Angeles (I'm not sure form your location).

If you're afraid of breaking down/flats, buy AAA's $99 per year towing solution. All problems solved.

Life is too short to worry about the small things. Make a plan and make it work for you.

Owning 4 cars, I noi longer have time for being cheap. Good, solid solutions in life make me happy. And save me lots of time.

·
Registered
93 Posts

Buy at America's Discount Tire. I think you're in Los Angeles (I'm not sure form your location).

If you're afraid of breaking down/flats, buy AAA's $99 per year towing solution. All problems solved.

Life is too short to worry about the small things. Make a plan and make it work for you.

Owning 4 cars, I noi longer have time for being cheap. Good, solid solutions in life make me happy. And save me lots of time.
Totally agree with this post! I have AAA and then just get a tire inflator with some can of goo. The RF tires are just terrible.

Like I said - I will run my out, then change them. But when I do change them, it won't be RF's going back on for sure.

Discount Tire is a good solution. But I cannot tell is the OP is from LA (Los Angeles) or LA (Louisiana)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Got it. Or I can use the 24/7 Roadside Assistance by BMW? It comes with my car when I purchased it.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Which tire do you guys put on on you BMW X3? I am looking for a set of tire that are more quiet than the Pirelli P7. Do you guys have any recommendations?
Please do a search. There are many threads on this subject. There are some with the exact title as yours with many replies and options.

·
Registered
71 Posts
When I purchased my X3, they had thrown a set of Nexen CP672 performance all seasons (non run-flats). I am very impressed by how quiet they are, and after 20K miles look almost new. Not expensive ($144 ea. at discounttirezone.com). Right now I am in a loaner X1, brand new with only 22 miles when I got it, Pirelli Cinturato P7 all season run-flats. They may feel slightly stiffer, but I feel every crack and bump, and hear every road texture... cannot wait to get my car back. Will never go back to run flats. (have BMW tire kit, air compressor, plug kit, AAA, so am prepared for that rare puncture)

·
Registered
189 Posts
I recently installed at set of Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position RF. They are still run flats but they are way quieter and much softer than the original good-years. They really don't feel like run flats.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had the RF's taken off the very next day of delivery (Aug 25). I got Michelin Primacy MXM4. Very quiet and smooth. And the tire shop gave me $100 for each tire he took off. They were Pirelli RF's. I'm a happy camper. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts