BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its time to replace the Conti's on my xi 5er. Thinking about going to an 18" wheel at the same time but concerned about the 29.46mm drop in the side wall ....showing what would be a larger wheel well gap.

Any tire recommendations and does anyone have any pics on the,” gap", when moving from the 17" to the 18"?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
There should be no difference in gap between any properly-sized replacement wheel/tire combination. The overall diameter of the tire should remain the same. As you look at the wheel/tire, the amount of the circle that is wheel increases as the size goes up, but the amount of the circle that is tire decreases. So with a 15" combo, lots of rubber shows and with a 22" combo, very little rubber shows -- but the diameter/rolling circumference of the combo is the same.

·
Registered
71 Posts
What are you looking for in a tire? Will you be keeping your 17's for winter use, and be using the 18's for summer use? We need more information on what you are looking for and your intended use before we can make tire recommendations.

You can get an idea of what tire sizes will fit using this Tire Size Calculator. If you want to go with 18's, go with the Sport package size of 245/40R18.

-Scott

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for this education on the wheel well gap. Do you think going to 19's would look silly?

Yes if were to increase my tire size i would go to 245/40/18 and was looking for a all season tire like the Potenza RE960AS. I will keep my old wheels and tires as back ups only.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts