BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Porleau
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not exactly a 3-series specific post, but since our cars come with RFTs and I know some of you have spent a lot of time considering other tire options, I figured I'd start here. Anyway, wondering if there is a big difference between the Continental ContiComfort and the BMW tire repair systems. I know the Conti system is about $80 vs $135 for the BMW system, but not much more in terms of usability and performance.

·
Registered
145 Posts
You mean if you switch to non-RFTs? I don't have any personal experience with the kits but they both seem to be about the same. I don't see why the conti wouldn't be enough if you switched.

·
Worlds Foremost Authority
15,956 Posts
Not exactly a 3-series specific post, but since our cars come with RFTs and I know some of you have spent a lot of time considering other tire options, I figured I'd start here. Anyway, wondering if there is a big difference between the Continental ContiComfort and the BMW tire repair systems. I know the Conti system is about $80 vs $135 for the BMW system, but not much more in terms of usability and performance.
I have both and prefer the Conti kit. The pumps on both work fine but if you have to use the sealant the Conti is IMO far superior.

With the Conti Kit the "Goop" is injected by the pump. With the BMW kit you have to remove the tire valve, pour in the goop and then replace the valve. If you loose the valve you are up the proverbial creek without a paddle.

I have only used the sealant once but I had a large enough tear in the sidewall that it leaked out and the the tire would not hold air. I had to call a tow truck.

CA

·
Porleau
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just to clarify, my plan is to keep the OEM RFTs as is, but buy a winter set up consisting of non-RFTs (and I may cheap out and not get pressure monitors). Since I won't have a spare, I need some sort of protection other than roadside assistance. I also like the idea of having something to supplement the RFTs in the event I get stuck somewhere remote.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts