BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
My rear Michelin Pilot Sports are due for replacement. My fronts can go for 2K miles more. My question is can i just replace my two rear tires for now and then maybe 2 mos from now replace the fronts without disrupting the balance or unusual wear on my tires? I'm planning on ordering Michelin PS2's. I have 39k miles on my car. Any comment will be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Not Wearing Pants
13,832 Posts
antetr95 said:
Hi everyone,
My rear Michelin Pilot Sports are due for replacement. My fronts can go for 2K miles more. My question is can i just replace my two rear tires for now and then maybe 2 mos from now replace the fronts without disrupting the balance or unusual wear on my tires? I'm planning on ordering Michelin PS2's. I have 39k miles on my car. Any comment will be appreciated.

Thanks
I replaced my rears at 13k. My fronts are now getting replaced at 26k and my rears look like they have another 5-10k miles on them. Shrug. If it matters, I haven't felt it.

·
totally
520 Posts
antetr95 said:
Hi everyone,

Thanks
If it were me, I would probably just toss the two front tires. By the time they are gone, your rears would have a lot less tread than the new fronts, meaning you would have to remove the rears and put them on the front, and they would be different models of tires too.

To me, it wouldn't be worth it to go another 2K on tires that are probably pretty loud and not as responsive as the ones you plan on replacing them with.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reponses. Just to let you know, my front tires size is different from my rears, so I can't transpose them. I may replace my front tires sooner than 2 months then. The Michelin's are just so dang expensive. Such is the world of Michelin.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
what about something other than Michelins? Check out Tirerack, they have plenty of brands. I just ordered some Toyo Proxes which are cheaper than the Michelins and perform superbly.

I'd change all 4 tires, if I were you since they're staggered.

·
Not Wearing Pants
13,832 Posts
528i said:
Not sure how that's helpful as it doesn't address the issue of staggered wheels.

My ZHP burns through rears pretty fast but the fronts will last 25-26k miles. I'm not gonna buy new rears just because my fronts are finally balding.

As for safety concerns - bah, I live in San Diego. We don't really get weather. We get rain once in awhile and when we do, I drive my Mazda. The BMW stays locked up in "bad" weather.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.