BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Little Yellow Different
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer provided me with a "BMW Helpful Hints" print out that they had written. One item reads: For proper tire/tread life, tires should be rotated every 7500 miles. Failure to do so could cause the tires to prematurely "cup", thus reducing their life. Yet I find no where in the manual that mentions tire rotation. Is this because it is obvious the tires should be rotated, or BMW does not recommend tire rotation, or something in between?

Another curious item reads: Never use your key or remote to lock doors with anyone inside the car. Never. It would be helpful if it told me why I should never do this, but alas it does not. I originally thought it was a warning to help prevent unintentional activation of the alarm. Of course there is a straight forward method to inactivate the motion sensor by double clicking the Lock button. So maybe they are referring to something else.

I have a 330i without sports package.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I thought I read somewhere the BMW does not recommend rotating the tires.:dunno:

·
Registered
324 Posts
exchequer said:
Another curious item reads: Never use your key or remote to lock doors with anyone inside the car. Never. It would be helpful if it told me why I should never do this, but alas it does not. I originally thought it was a warning to help prevent unintentional activation of the alarm. Of course there is a straight forward method to inactivate the motion sensor by double clicking the Lock button. So maybe they are referring to something else.
once, my husband and I were parked outside a store and started having a little argument. he wanted to stay in the car so I got out of the car and locked him in (intentionally, he didn't know what was in store for him). needless to say he was not happy, lol. the siren kept wailing with every move he made in the car.

:rofl:

·
Registered
184 Posts
06-E90 said:
I thought I read somewhere the BMW does not recommend rotating the tires.:dunno:
I too remember reading/hearing this. I think it had to do with the "50/50" weight bias/"equal tire wear" BS.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just rotated my tires. The dealer said it was not recommended. I'm getting more tire life and performance again. I have no problem buying new tires, But why do it when there is good tread left. If you can rotate, do it.

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
exchequer said:
My dealer provided me with a "BMW Helpful Hints" print out that they had written. One item reads: For proper tire/tread life, tires should be rotated every 7500 miles. Failure to do so could cause the tires to prematurely "cup", thus reducing their life. Yet I find no where in the manual that mentions tire rotation. Is this because it is obvious the tires should be rotated, or BMW does not recommend tire rotation, or something in between?

I have a 330i without sports package.
Sport/staggered tires cannot be rotated. If you have the standard sedan tires that are all the same size you can rotate if you wish. The effort might save you $50 bucks in tread life.

keep in mind tires should be replaced long before they are bald. So even though rotating may save some tread, I always swap my tires out if they start riding bad, become noisy, or performance is diminished. All of which can happen with plenty of tread left.

Don't set the alarm with folks in the car, because they won't be able to get out of the car.

·
F1 Zealot
39 Posts
This topic flat drives me crazy. BMW has always had a position of not rotating your tires. My experience has been that I've wound up with 'cupped' tires at about 18,000 miles on every BMW I've owned. I've tried rotating the traditional way, rotating same side only, all with the same results. The cupping always comes with the loud whining water torture noise that just about does me in. This has been with touring tires, performance tires, winter tires...you name it. Its even worse when you release there is mega tread life left in the tires.

My only guess is this is a result of the camber settings that BMW uses to make their sedans handle like sports cars. I've learned to live with it.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
due to BMW's 4 wheel setup it is ESSENTIAL to rotate your tires every 7000 in the following way: The fronts go to the rear and the rears criscross to the front. Now, think about it. It makes sense!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
razzy530 said:
due to BMW's 4 wheel setup it is ESSENTIAL to rotate your tires every 7000 in the following way: The fronts go to the rear and the rears criscross to the front. Now, think about it. It makes sense!
Criss-crossing the tyres will generally cause a noticable loss of grip until the tread has worn down to a new pattern, also many high performance tyres are directional and can't be crossed over.

I've rotated 2 sets of tyres on my E46 and not rotated 2 other sets, the rotated sets certainly gave a bit more tread life, but were considerably noisier after the 1st rotation and never got quieter again.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,698 Posts
razzy530 said:
due to BMW's 4 wheel setup
unlike other cars which have how many wheels?:dunno::dunno::dunno:

·
Registered
184 Posts
jsc said:
Criss-crossing the tyres will generally cause a noticable loss of grip until the tread has worn down to a new pattern, also many high performance tyres are directional and can't be crossed over.
I think I remember reading that criss crossing may also contribute to tread separation issues. Genrally speaking, front to back is better.

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
razzy530 said:
This would require remouting tires so the rotational arrows are facing forward. If you do this every 7,000 miles, there will be no cost savings.:tsk:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Jspira - or any others - can you give us the definitive answer on the tire rotating question? I am bringing my e90 (12k miles) in for its 1 year check up / oil change tomorrow and want to know what I services I should ask for / expect!

Thanks,
MIke

·
Freude am Fahren
19,698 Posts
BMW advises against rotating tires.

I have enjoyed long tire life w/o rotating.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I've also been informed that BMW does not recommend tire rotation. BUT, if you dont happen to have 'directional' tires AND all 4 wheels are the same size (non-staggered), I cant see what harm it would do. In most cases however, especially if you have the sports package, your wheels will be staggered, and most high performance tires are directional.

Wosby

·
Freude am Fahren
19,698 Posts
I cant see what harm it would do. In most cases however, especially if you have the sports package, your wheels will be staggered, and most high performance tires are directional.

Wosby
The harm? You transfer problems from one side to another. That's the harm.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts