BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:

I'll be getting my first set of non-OEM wheels on my '02 325i-4 door w/sport package. My plan is to purchase a set of CSL Replica wheels made from Velocity Motors. The wheel size will be 18x8.5 all around. I'm having a very hard time deciding what type of tire setup to go with. I do like the aggressiveness of the staggered setup, however I do not want a harsh ride. Having said this, is it better to go with:

1.) 225/40/18 All around
2.) 225/40/18 front & 245/35/18 rear
3.) 235/40/18 all around

I'm particularly worried about rubbing issues on option #3. I am not planning to revise the suspension as I'd like to keep it stock. My original plan was to go with what Tirerack recommends (225's all around), however I'm concerned that the tire will be too small for the wheel 18x8.5 (wheel will stick out a bit). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

· doh!!!
3,214 Posts
assuming 235 fit I would do them all around, plus handling will be bettter and you can rotate your tires if you want. Like you said 225 seem pretty narrow for a 8.5 rim, usually 7.5 is the ideal size for that tire, 7 or 8 work. I am not a fan of staggered tires..

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jeff_DML said:
assuming 235 fit I would do them all around, plus handling will be bettter and you can rotate your tires if you want. Like you said 225 seem pretty narrow for a 8.5 rim, usually 7.5 is the ideal size for that tire, 7 or 8 work. I am not a fan of staggered tires..
Thanks for your reply...my only concern going with 235's all around is the rubbing in the fronts.

· Rest in peace, Coach
9,614 Posts
4) 245/35/18s all around, knock out the alignment pin and max out your front camber, have front slightly toed in (-0.8"-1"). You should have some clearance, and the toe-in and negative camber should give you good handling characteristics up front while producing equal wear on the outside and inside of the tire.

· Jayhawk
526 Posts
The HACK said:
4) 245/35/18s all around, knock out the alignment pin and max out your front camber, have front slightly toed in (-0.8"-1"). You should have some clearance, and the toe-in and negative camber should give you good handling characteristics up front while producing equal wear on the outside and inside of the tire.
Great recommendation Hack! I knocked out the guide pin last year. Turn-in improves greatly.

235's should not be a problem at all. I ran 235's on my 2000 323 and on my 2003 330i on the track with no problems at all. I think 245's will fit fine also.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.