BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Go Phillies!
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever have this one?

I started my car and the tire warning icon popped on. I turned the car off and restarted...it still came on. I checked the car and tires over for obvious issues--nothing. Turned the car off and restarted again, just to make sure and drove over to the dealership.

They checked the tires, pressure, and sensor...all ok.

They said it was the change in weather. In NJ we've had cooler temps the last two days.
I say chalk it up to more bugs in the system. But, if you have had anything like this...

·
Registered
363 Posts
Sounds like your tires need more air. The air in your tires is affected by the temperature of the tire, cold tires have lower air pressure than hot tires. On a cold morning your tires might have been under-inflated, setting off the warning. Once you started driving and the tires built up some heat, the air pressure inside increased (this is why the dealership said the pressure was fine).

Buy yourself a cheap pressure gauge and check your tires when they are cold. It is also recommended to fill tires with air when they are cold.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'd recommend not going TOO cheap on the pressure gauge; the dial types are generally better than the pop-up types and most have a bleeder valve to help adjust the pressure down if you overfill.

I had our warning light come on a few weeks back, tried to reset it but no luck. Tires looked fine, but when I put a gauge on 'em, the left rear was abour 3-4 lbs. low. Found a nail in the tire. Got it plugged, no problems since. Make sure to reset the warning light after you get all of the tires properly adjusted cold. Good luck!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Mine did something strange last week. After I started the car, the yellow sign kept flashing and I tried to reset it but no dice. I stepped outside and did a quick visual check of the tires but they looked ok (I didn't got to pulling out my tire pressure tester). Got back in the car, turned it off, waited maybe 5 seconds, restarted and it was gone!
Weird behavior but as usual I guess that doing a "reboot" put everything back on line!
Regards,

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
why, when the tire monitor lights up, wouldn't you (anyone) quickly check the air pressure in each tire? Rather than simply look your tires over and determine they look ok... especially when consumers have been advised for years that a tire with low pressure appears fine, but can over heat and blow out and be hazardous for all concerned. And, you say the monitor was acting strange, why again not check each tire's air pressure?

No disrespect intended by the questions.

·
Go Phillies!
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the tire pressure was fine...the weather was cooler/rainy for over two days before the warning signal went off.

This car also gave me a "seat belt warning" when I was wearing my seat belt. I think it needs a little therapy.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I checked my tires before a 60 mile trip once. They were a tad lower than I wanted, so I filled them up a little. About 20 miles into the trip, the sensor sets off the light on the dash. Im going 70 MPH and I didn't feel any difference in the driving of the car, so I didn't worry about it. The next day, turned on the car again, still on... so of course I read the manual.

Apparently, after the air pressure is adjusted, you should re-calibrate the system. So I held down the button near the seat warmer buttons. The light flashed and then went out. Hasn't come back on since.

Now I understand you didn't adjust the tire pressure, but the weather did. Same concept. You call it a "bug" but in reality, the system is doing exactly what it was intended to do, notify you of air pressure changes. All you had to do was check the pressure, determine that they were ok, and re-calibrate the system.

I would much rather have a system that lets me know "hey, something happened that seems odd" than not having any system that leaves me with a flat in the middle of no-where.

·
Powder Days
1,996 Posts
I was driving back from SC to OH and kept getting the low pressure warning. Sure enough, pressure was low. After about three re-inflations, I stopped at the Dealer and they found a small nail in the sidewall that was only found by the SA running his hand all around the tire.

If resetting the warning doesn't work and I suspect it will, take a close look at the sidewalls. That is a place I never thought to look.

Cheers

·
Go Phillies!
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It happened again...and there is a fault in the sensor; however, since it did not happen 3 times the dealership has to call an engineer at BMW to do a software workaround. Same thing w/a fuel sensor that would not show a fillup on my gas gauge last week...they have a call into BMW.

My car is very sensitive...like it was born w/milk, egg, and peanut allergies.

I love the BMW line, but this is getting to be a bit much

:tsk:

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
I have yet to ever get a warning from the FTM. Then again, I have the old-fashioned ABS-type sensors.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not to beat a old horse but the Tire Pressure system in the X3 SUCKS! Why couldn't they have but a digital readout for each tire so that you could see what the tire pressures are while driving down the road. Many other manufactures are doing it.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
Not to beat a old horse but the Tire Pressure system in the X3 SUCKS! Why couldn't they have but a digital readout for each tire so that you could see what the tire pressures are while driving down the road. Many other manufactures are doing it.
It's one of those stubborn German idiosyncracies. It's probably the same reason that BMWs cant display Track time on the radio, don't have good cupholders, have occasional electronic hiccups, and have a narrow gas pedal.

I know what u mean though. A lot of GM cars have individual readings on the pressures of each tire. There's so many things to play with in their DIC.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have had the same flat tire warnings starting yesterday. I checked pressures with a gauge and all were the same as eachother and within range of the recommended pressures. I added a little to each to make sure there wasn't a slow leak the car was sensing and the light was still on.
I will read the manual when I get home tonight and determine where that magic reset button is (I don't have seat warmers) on the 06 530xi.
Thanks guys, I feel a little less distressed about this now.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Happened to me this week and sure enough one tire needed air.
I had Nitrogen put in at Costco. It is a ton more stable and should remedy the situation.

I am at 6K miles and just called my local dealer to get the following issues addressed:
Transmission Computer Update
Passenger Front Door Compartment Plastic is unglued
FM Radio is being disabled about every 50 drives.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Ever have this one?

I started my car and the tire warning icon popped on. I turned the car off and restarted...it still came on. I checked the car and tires over for obvious issues--nothing. Turned the car off and restarted again, just to make sure and drove over to the dealership.

They checked the tires, pressure, and sensor...all ok.

They said it was the change in weather. In NJ we've had cooler temps the last two days.
I say chalk it up to more bugs in the system. But, if you have had anything like this...
A) It is time for Nitrogen fill in your tires.
B) Go to I Drive, vehicle settings, Tires and RESET your TPM. Drive for few miles should be OK.
C) Some mechanics / service guys are ?? , do not simple things sometimes.

·
Registered
363 Posts
B) Go to I Drive, vehicle settings, Tires and RESET your TPM. Drive for few miles should be OK.
X3s do not have iDrive.

·
Registered
139 Posts
False Alarms

Several times I have had the TPM alarm and it appears to be due to another BMW around me confusing its signal.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My 2007 X3 3.0si (2006 production) seems to have TPM / FTM, however, I have never seen it in action. It sounds like some of the systems are fairly sensitive. I have not topped up my tires since I got the care late in 2006. When I checked the pressure a week ago there was ~1 psi difference among the tires. Still no TPM light coming on.

I then let out quite a bit of air from one of the tires to create ~4 psi pressure difference and drove the car for a few hundred meters. Still to TPM! I wonder whether the system is even opperational on my car :dunno:

·
Premium Member
14,837 Posts
Hmmmm....Mrs W. had this come on (yellow FTM warning lamp) on the way home from her class teaching tonight.

I checked when she got home and all the tires were at either 29.0 or 29.5. :dunno:

They should all be at 32.0 per the sticker on the jamb, I guess it is a good thing it went off.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts