BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Diver624
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm picking up my 550 ix next week and I'm thinking of getting the insurance since the roads here on Long Island are horrendous. The insurance says "Tires and wheels will be replaced using original equipment manufacturer (OEM) parts". My question is what happens when i replace the tires in a few years because of wear and I put on run flats that are not OEM parts (hopefully additional run-flats will be available other than the present Goodyears LS2's). If BMW is not using the run flat tires I put on the car will they honor the insurance and replace my tire or will they only replace it with the Goodyears? My dealer is saying they will replace whatever tire i use as long as it's a run flat but I'm not so sure.

·
Registered
429 Posts
When I pressed what I heard is that you should buy replacement tires from your BMW dealer who is sourcing through BMWNA. These would all be approved and OE tires therefore covered.

I declined the insurance and just figure I'm self insuring. Lots more options and more comfortable for me.

One size does not fit all.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am in Queens and am always driving in Qns, LI, and Manhattan. I opted for the insurance because it covers unlimited claims plus a loaner and it's one less headache I have to worry about. I don't plan on keeping the car for more than 5 yrs anyway, so I'm not going to bother upgrading my tires.

·
Sejanus
5,785 Posts
Here's my piece on the wheel and tyre insurance. Do it! When I bought my first BMW, a CPO `05 654CiC, the BMW finance guy explained that replacing one wheel would cover the cost of the insurance. Two months later I had to replace both rear tyres, Bridgestone run-flats, due to rear misalignment...and I was reimbursed everything, including the cost of the realignment. Prices for this insurance range $800 - $1200, like I've said the cost of one OEM wheel. You won't void your policy by replacing worn tyres, which is required under the BMW warranty, and any replaced tyre that falls under BMW's recommendations for tyres is covered for the term of the policy. However, as said earlier in this thread, having this done by a BMW service department ensures that everything will be hassle-free should you have to later invoke the policy on account of a road hazard damage. In my experience, though, replacing worn tyres through companies such as Sears, NTB, or Firestone/Bridgestone, etc. should assure the same result.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
My policy paid for itself in 4 weeks, on LI no less. I have had so many bubbles its not funny. All is well since I switched to Dunlops, but I would never dream of living in metro NY without insurance...

·
Diver624
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies, the price seems crazy though. For 3 years BMW wants $1600 for the 19" wheels and 40 series tires, is this negotiable? It seems that the price for this has risen dramatically after this bad winter.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I would rather skip the tire and wheel insurance and use the money to buy 4 new regular tires (non-run flats) especially if you're buying the car instead of leasing. You're less likely to get a flat with a regular tire. The downside obviously is you won't have a spare tire in your car. But when was the last time you had to change a tire on the side of the road? I've been driving for 15 years and I've never had to.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Thanks for the replies, the price seems crazy though. For 3 years BMW wants $1600 for the 19" wheels and 40 series tires, is this negotiable? It seems that the price for this has risen dramatically after this bad winter.
Yes- it is negotiable for sure.
That is a high number.

·
Sejanus
5,785 Posts
I paid $1450 (tax included) for 5 years. Not as good as some that I've seen here. But I can live with it.
Paid $1100 in February when I leased my 7 Series (19s running Goodyears). I recall paying $880 each time for my 645 19s/Bridgestones), 650 (19s/Bridgestones), and M6 (20s/Michelins).

·
Sejanus
5,785 Posts
I would rather skip the tire and wheel insurance and use the money to buy 4 new regular tires (non-run flats) especially if you're buying the car instead of leasing. You're less likely to get a flat with a regular tire.
I think your logic is flawed, but to each his/her own. Bear in mind that it's not just flat tyres that are covered, but wheels as well. If you're driving in urban areas, particularly those areas that get hit hard by winter weather, potholes are epidemic and can havoc wheels more than 19" in diameter.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I paid $1050 for 5 years of coverage (actual BMW insurance, not 3rd party). Your quote seems high but the prices might have gone up since I bought in October. Self insuring rims and tires in metro NY is like saying you don't like money....

·
Registered
14 Posts
What dealer in LI? I paid $1300 at Hassel in Freeport. Had the car two weeks and had to use it! Paid about 85% back already. I hit a nasty pot hole in Jones Beach. New rim and tire. The Hassel invoice said it cost $1000 parts and labor plus I got a loaner!

·
Sejanus
5,785 Posts
Do you know if the BMW Tire and Wheel Insurance "must" be honored by any BMW dealer, or just the issuing dealer?

I.e., if I bought if from a dealer in Chicago then moved to Dallas "must" a Dallas dealer service the claim?
My understanding is that it (coverage) is supposed to be honored by all BMW dealers.

·
Diver624
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Do you know if the BMW Tire and Wheel Insurance "must" be honored by any BMW dealer, or just the issuing dealer?

I.e., if I bought if from a dealer in Chicago then moved to Dallas "must" a Dallas dealer service the claim?
I was told all BMW dealers will honor it, it's issued by BMW NA not individual dealers but apparently there's a large markup.

What dealer in LI? I paid $1300 at Hassel in Freeport. Had the car two weeks and had to use it! Paid about 85% back already. I hit a nasty pot hole in Jones Beach. New rim and tire. The Hassel invoice said it cost $1000 parts and labor plus I got a loaner!

The dealer is Rallye, did you pay $1300 for 3 years of service?

·
Registered
367 Posts
I paid $1200 for 5 years two months ago at Freehold BMW.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Strongly consider the insurance if you live in the NYC area. I paid about $1450 for 5 years in NJ last June when I picked up my F10 Sport. Since then I've gone through 6 tires and 2 rims after hitting bone-jarring potholes. All replaced no charge.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I paid $1000 last week. Negotiated from $1300. Bellevue Washington State. The finance manager told me if I change my mind, I can go back to get money back and it would refund me the money prorated from 5 yrears.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts