BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just made a deal with someone from out of town to buy (4) style 161 17"wheels, 3 of which have Perelli RF tires, the other is slightly damaged from a pothole and MAY need some repair. The 3 existing tires have about 8000 miles on them. Is it OK to buy just one tire to complete the set even though it will have a bit more rubber on it or to buy two tires and mount them on the rear wheels (or is front better?) I will have a 325xi when it is redelivered from ED, hopefully next week. I'd appreciate your thoughts on this issue. Thanks:dunno:

·
Registered
311 Posts
peschwartz61 said:
I just made a deal with someone from out of town to buy (4) style 161 17"wheels, 3 of which have Perelli RF tires, the other is slightly damaged from a pothole and MAY need some repair. The 3 existing tires have about 8000 miles on them. Is it OK to buy just one tire to complete the set even though it will have a bit more rubber on it or to buy two tires and mount them on the rear wheels (or is front better?) I will have a 325xi when it is redelivered from ED, hopefully next week. I'd appreciate your thoughts on this issue. Thanks:dunno:
I would worry a lot more about the wheel that is "slightly damaged". I personally wouldn't buy a wheel that hit a pothole so severe it trashed the tire and probably put the wheel out of round. Its not like a 3 piece wheel where you could just buy a new outer for like 200-300 dollars. You may end up with a useless set of wheels and buying one wheel from BMW at retail is probably as much as a whole set from a private party who is upgrading to aftermarket wheels. If you are set on style 161 wheels my advice would be to wait until you get your car and follow the classifieds until you find a better set.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,701 Posts
How much are you paying for the wheels? The tires should be no charge with 8000 miles.

Also, do you know what the retail price per wheel is?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
161 wheels

HI Jonathan, I pd $550.00 for the whole package. The 2 caviats are (1) I don't know the extent of the damage on one of the wheels but the seller insists that it is minor and may not even need to be repaired but is repairable if I want. (2) A friend of mine that lives in MD is picking them up for me and I still need to get them up here in MA. These wheels can be purchased at bmwwheels.com for about $350.00 each. Rather than buying one Pirelli RFT to complete the set, I will probably buy 4 General Exclaim UHP 225x45x17 tires for $78.00 each from Tire Rack. I have them on my Mazda Miata and are very happy with them. The reviews are excellent for this tire as well. Since I have only had one flat in the last 20 yrs, I will take my chances w/o a spare, possibly buying a patch kit and compressor. My plan is to buy winter tires for my OEM 16" wheels and get what I can selling the 3 pirellis and 4 Bridgestone Potenzas. I may just leave the stock all-season tires on for the winter and see how they handle as I have the 325xi and the x-drive will help in the snow. The downside is the more the 16" tires are used, the less I can get for them. The bottom line is this: I pd $550 for the for the whole deal (not factoring in a possible wheel repair and possible shipping costs) and if I can get $200-$300 for the 7 tires, to me, it was a great deal.:)

·
Freude am Fahren
19,701 Posts
I guess I would recommend giving strong consideration to trying the Pirellis as they are run-flats and already on the wheels.

What you could do is have a good tire dealer examine the Pirellis when you get them and see if you need to add 1 or 2. I think 8000 miles is on the cusp - it's not THAT much wear but a qualified tire professional could look and give you better advice.

For the winter, I would consider putting RF snows on the 16" wheels. I have had excellent results with Blizzak RF tires.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.