BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Forum Members,

How are you all doing? I have a question for you all regarding Good year LS2 RFT. I own a 2016 X3, it came with Good Year LS2 RFT. With only 12000 miles, the thread on all 4 tires is wornout, the thread failed penny test. On top of this the tire pressure keeps dropping, not sure how often, but it keeps dropping slowly. I cant believe BMW can have such horrible tires as OME.

I had purchased BMW wheel & tire warranty considering the cost to replace the tires.

Has anyone used BMW tire & wheel warranty to replace the worn out Good Year LS2 RFT?
Any recommendation for other brand? I guess Michelin is a good brand overall, but not sure how is their RFT quality. I guess even Continental is a good brand.

I read the warranty document and it says they will replace damaged tires or wheel unlimited times during warranty provided tires have no cosmetic damage and thread is more than 2/32".

I will take my X3 tomorrow to dealer for this, hope they replace the tires with a different brand.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Dear Forum Members,

How are you all doing? I have a question for you all regarding Good year LS2 RFT. I own a 2016 X3, it came with Good Year LS2 RFT. With only 12000 miles, the thread on all 4 tires is wornout, the thread failed penny test. On top of this the tire pressure keeps dropping, not sure how often, but it keeps dropping slowly. I cant believe BMW can have such horrible tires as OME.

I had purchased BMW wheel & tire warranty considering the cost to replace the tires.

Has anyone used BMW tire & wheel warranty to replace the worn out Good Year LS2 RFT?
Any recommendation for other brand? I guess Michelin is a good brand overall, but not sure how is their RFT quality. I guess even Continental is a good brand.

I read the warranty document and it says they will replace damaged tires or wheel unlimited times during warranty provided tires have no cosmetic damage and thread is more than 2/32".

I will take my X3 tomorrow to dealer for this, hope they replace the tires with a different brand.
I don't know about the warranty question but I could not wait to remove my OEM Goodyears. They were extremely loud after 20,000 miles. I have Michelin Primacy MXM4's on my X3. They are a good option however there are other good tires out there. I have about 37,000 miles on these and will probably put the same type on next summer. I swap on snow tires around November.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Dear Forum Members,

Just checked the OEM Goodyears on my 6 month old F25 with a tire gauge and have 8/32nds left on the tread with very even wear. Since I ran Bridgestone snow tires from Dec. to March this represents about 6,000 km on the OEM All Season tires. I believe that when the car was new the OEM Goodyears RFT's had only 10/32nds on them which was a surprise as I believe new tires always used to be 14/32nds so we're being short changed on new tire tread these days and that's why you see so many complaints about tire wear. I used to get 80,000 km and more on the Michelin Primacy tires I used to run on my previous Honda products.

A BMW newbie trying to learn to love BMW :))! So far loose fog light from the factory (3 trips to dealer to get it fixed and car put back together correctly, ISOFIX (Child Seat Bracket) recall and tailgate rattle (license plate loose {DealerInstalled} as dealer techs used power screw drivers instead of by hand so you can tell if all six screws are threaded properly sufficiently torqued). Good that the cars are such fun to drive but it seem you need a lot of patience, tolerance for B.S. and deep pockets after warranty to be an owner.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Dear Forum Members,

The tire and wheel warranty BMW normally offers does not cover wear. It covers damage to the tire but "wear" is excluded specifically (I am fairly certain of this but I am just a guy on the internet, so you want to check it).

The tires might or might not have a mileage warranty. I have an X5 (not an X3, sorry) but I like to read multiple forums here. On the X5s I have summer tires, and those have NO mileage warranty for tires (summer tires). Are X3s available with summer tires?

In any case, I will be surprised if you are able to get your tires replaced because of "wear" under the BMW warranty, but there are a million different 3rd party warranties as well (which normally offer less coverage than the BMW warranty).

Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
195 Posts
The tire warranty covers road hazard on the tires for the duration of the warranty, provided the remaining tread exceeds the minimum.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know about the warranty question but I could not wait to remove my OEM Goodyears. They were extremely loud after 20,000 miles. I have Michelin Primacy MXM4's on my X3. They are a good option however there are other good tires out there. I have about 37,000 miles on these and will probably put the same type on next summer. I swap on snow tires around November.
Thank you friend, same here, I cannot wait to replace the OEM Goodyears, I believe 8000 more miles to go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just checked the OEM Goodyears on my 6 month old F25 with a tire gauge and have 8/32nds left on the tread with very even wear. Since I ran Bridgestone snow tires from Dec. to March this represents about 6,000 km on the OEM All Season tires. I believe that when the car was new the OEM Goodyears RFT's had only 10/32nds on them which was a surprise as I believe new tires always used to be 14/32nds so we're being short changed on new tire tread these days and that's why you see so many complaints about tire wear. I used to get 80,000 km and more on the Michelin Primacy tires I used to run on my previous Honda products.

A BMW newbie trying to learn to love BMW :))! So far loose fog light from the factory (3 trips to dealer to get it fixed and car put back together correctly, ISOFIX (Child Seat Bracket) recall and tailgate rattle (license plate loose {DealerInstalled} as dealer techs used power screw drivers instead of by hand so you can tell if all six screws are threaded properly sufficiently torqued). Good that the cars are such fun to drive but it seem you need a lot of patience, tolerance for B.S. and deep pockets after warranty to be an owner.
Thank you Avi, I kind of knew it will be expensive to maintain after factory warranty, hence I purchased extended warranty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The tire and wheel warranty BMW normally offers does not cover wear. It covers damage to the tire but "wear" is excluded specifically (I am fairly certain of this but I am just a guy on the internet, so you want to check it).

The tires might or might not have a mileage warranty. I have an X5 (not an X3, sorry) but I like to read multiple forums here. On the X5s I have summer tires, and those have NO mileage warranty for tires (summer tires). Are X3s available with summer tires?

In any case, I will be surprised if you are able to get your tires replaced because of "wear" under the BMW warranty, but there are a million different 3rd party warranties as well (which normally offer less coverage than the BMW warranty).

Let us know how it goes.
Hi jjrandorin,

Thank you, I believe summer tires are available for X3, yeah unfortunately warranty does not cover wear. But I have an issue with tire pressure dropping every few weeks which is not expected. I own a 2012 Camry, it has Michelin tires, tire pressure never drops. I had to reschedule my appointment, I will let everyone know how it goes with the dealer regarding this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts