BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am picking up my new 550xi on Friday (yeah!!) and the dealer is offering me a tire/wheel warranty for $1,597 for three years. He says it will cover both my stock tires and wheels plus the winter wheels and tires I bought from Tire Rack (both sets are run flats). He claims it's a complete warranty and covers everything except cosmetic damage and normal wear.

Has anyone bought this before? Is it worth it? Do run flats actually fare worse than regular tires with potholes, etc... On my soon to be retired 535xi I've only replaced two tires and no wheels over three years. Should I expect significantly different experience with the run flats?

Any guidance or suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Am picking up my new 550xi on Friday (yeah!!) and the dealer is offering me a tire/wheel warranty for $1,597 for three years. He says it will cover both my stock tires and wheels plus the winter wheels and tires I bought from Tire Rack (both sets are run flats). He claims it's a complete warranty and covers everything except cosmetic damage and normal wear.

Has anyone bought this before? Is it worth it? Do run flats actually fare worse than regular tires with potholes, etc... On my soon to be retired 535xi I've only replaced two tires and no wheels over three years. Should I expect significantly different experience with the run flats?

Any guidance or suggestions would be appreciated.
Get it in email form or writing that those winters are covered. With the BMW warranty only oem tires are covered. To my knowledge there are no winter tires only all season Goodyear LS2's.

·
Registered
2021 540xi M Sport / Premium / Driving Assistance Plus / Parking Assistance
547 Posts
ESSENTIAL if your car comes with Goodyear Eagle LS2 All-Season RFTs. These tires have a manufacturing flaw making them extremely susceptible to damage from potholes. Hit a pothole, you WILL get a bubble, and the tire will need to be replaced.

Just replaced my 7th tire in 8 months.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bought the insurance. Through my research I talked to an underwriter for this type of insurance and he told me that BMWs have by far the WORST claims history of any manufacturer. Once I explained that I had potholes on the street leading to my house he quickly said he wouldn't sell me insurance if he had a choice. That was all I needed to hear. I bought the insurance and made sure the dealer modified the policy to cover my Tire Rack winter tires and wheels. I've been sleeping much better ever since :)

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Bought the insurance. Through my research I talked to an underwriter for this type of insurance and he told me that BMWs have by far the WORST claims history of any manufacturer. Once I explained that I had potholes on the street leading to my house he quickly said he wouldn't sell me insurance if he had a choice. That was all I needed to hear. I bought the insurance and made sure the dealer modified the policy to cover my Tire Rack winter tires and wheels. I've been sleeping much better ever since :)
To be clear, it is not about BMW, it is more about low profile tires in pot hole infested areas like the east coast.

Run flat or not, low profile tire/wheels will get damaged on bad roads.

·
Registered
35 Posts
To be clear, it is not about BMW, it is more about low profile tires in pot hole infested areas like the east coast.

Run flat or not, low profile tire/wheels will get damaged on bad roads.
That is not entirely accurate. I had an E46 M3 with 19" PS2s for many years, potholes and all. Yes, low profile tires can result in bent or damaged wheels, maybe even busted tires if you hit a pothole hard enough, however the bubbling described by many owners is not simply a natural result of low profile tires. There is very clearly something wrong with the GY run-flats.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
That is not entirely accurate. I had an E46 M3 with 19" PS2s for many years, potholes and all. Yes, low profile tires can result in bent or damaged wheels, maybe even busted tires if you hit a pothole hard enough, however the bubbling described by many owners is not a symptom of low profile tires. There is very clearly something wrong with the GY run-flats.
You are mixing up two issues.

One, regardless of tire, east coast is problematic for tire damage.

Second, regardless of location, the GY tires are defective. This should be addressed with the dealer regardless of tire/wheel insurance.

i.e., Don't buy the insurance so you can get your defective tires replaced. Get them replaced anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.