BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's tire time...my first set since getting the BMW. I've done some searches here but still have some questions. First off, from the PO, I currently have Bridgestone REO40s on an 18 rim--so in this car that's all I know. It looks like most folks like the PS2s but I likely will be making several trips to So Cal in the coming yr so I can't see it's worth melting those off on a straight shot like hwy 5. So I'm looking for something with better wear and/or lower cost (than my expected $1K-ish) and I don't see too many mentions of what kind of milage folks are getting out of their tires.

Info/Concerns:

• noise/ride... noise! (this is my 1st car with 18s and that has taken some getting use to - I don't want it to be worse than it is currently)
  • tramlining (ditto above comment)
  • can't remember when I haven't had z rated tires
  • daily driver/spirited style

For Bay Area folks: I've always gone to Wheel Works (on Saratoga) with good results; they will match Tirerack prices but I've heard good things about Custom Alignment in Mt View...do they cost more?

Also, one of the reasons I use to go to Wheel Works was it was only a coupla $ more to buy the road hazard option -- now it's like $25 or so per tire. [email protected] everyone charge like that now?

Thanks!

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
I used to order from Tire Rack and have Custom Alignment do the installation. They do a fantastic job, but it costs about $175 to mount and balance four tires. I think they may have moved out of Mountain View anyway.

I've used America's Tire on Hamilton lately and they include road hazard and lifetime balance and rotation in their tire prices. It doesn't cost extra. They too will match Tire Rack. It's a win-win IMHO. They do road force balancing as well and it was under $15/corner for mount and balance last time I got tires from them.

I'm running Nitto Invos which I like. They have a good balance of performance, comfort, and price. I was a PS2 fan, but at $300+ per corner for my size, serious overkill for street use. I'm convinced there is about a 10% performance delta and 30-40% price delta for the PS2s, not worth it.

I've heard some good things about the Bridgestone RE760 Sport which are affordable too.

I've tried the BFG KDW-NT's, monster mudder noise situation, won't work for you for sure.

Here's a thread where I wrote an in depth review of what I thought at 900 miles. I have about 7000 miles on them now, still going strong and lots of tread left. I still like them.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279826&highlight=invo

EDIT: Forgot to add. I don't usually drive my car if the weather is really bad, like it is today, but I have been out on wet roads with the Invos and I was pleasantly surprised at how good they are in that situation. I'm not freeway cruising either... I'm mostly a mountain twisty driver because that's where I live.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I really like Toyo Proxy T1R. They were $150-200 per tire for 18" staggered setup (can't remember exactly). I'm very happy with these tires. Quiet even after 20k miles. The 15" Dunlops on my family car are super noisy in comparison. The Proxy's wear life is good to. After 20k miles about 30% remaining on the rears, 50% on the fronts. No problems in the rain. The tread is really cool looking too.

As long as you get 4 new tires, do an alignment (especially camber) and have a stock suspension you shouldn't have any tramlining issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts