BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you get poor traction in the snow. I bought this car with some fairly sporty tires with the v-shaped treads. The car is a little bit frightening to drive in snow and ice and will not make it up my very steep cul-de-sac when it snows. Stopping on ice immediately engages the ABS and the Traction Control is working full time. I had to buy Autosocks for my steep street, which I highly recommend. If you are curious:
Autosocks instead of Chains or Snow Tires

The Autosocks are great, but they are a pain to install just for going up my own street. They are not supposed to be driven over 30MPH, so its not a good long-term alternative.

My question is whether or not it's worth it to have the sports tires? I have a hunch some good all-season tires would get me up my street just fine and help me stop better on the ice. Would like to hear what some of you guys use for tires and how they perform on snow and ice.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I have Hankook 404 Winter Tires with studs on all four corners; 225 45 17. They are really noisey, but have damn good traction and handle ok. Soon as it warms up a little I think I am going for Michelin Pilot Primacy in the same size or maybe 235. I had super high performance tires last summer with very stiff reenforced sidewalls. I hated them. They road terrible and grabbed every nuance on the road so you were driving every second to maintain control and were useless even in a small amount of rain water.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Many performance all-seasons will give you marginal traction in the snow too. If you want the most safety and performance then having dedicated summer and winter rims and tires is the only way to go. You can pick up a new set of snows for ~$1100 from tirerack or a used set for ~$600.

·
Registered
13,003 Posts
Don't know how you missed all the snow tire threads that started pretty early this year. :D

Just do a search for snow tires...if you just want to read the e39 threads...then do an ADVANCED SEARCH and select only the e39 forum.

Heck, you probably can goggle BMW winter tires and get a lot of results. :)

BTW, I run with dedicated winter tires (Michelin X-Ice xi2) and I have no problems whatsoever. We got only 4 inches last week, and it's been snowing since 4 am this morning and approx 6 more inches have fallen on top of the orig 4"...and still no problems.

Dedicated snow tires is the way to go if you live in snow country. Leave the all season tires for people who only have 3 seasons...or the temps are so moderate that they barely get down to freezing. All season tires lose there effectiveness to grip when the temps drop below 45 °F. The rubber compound turns them into "bricks"....while dedicated snow tires, remain soft and grippy.

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
I'm very pleased with my 530i with blizaks. Going out a few minutes in a heavy snow.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Extra set of "snow" tires. Dedicated "summer" tires... end of story.

Alternative I experimented with on my '94 530i was Pilot M&S, speed rated. They actually worked really well and handled 'ok' in snow... just bought my car with FL summer tires which suck in snow... glad the snow was in DC not up here, I would be up the creek. Looking for style 42 rims now so I can make the worst four into winter rims...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have Blizzaks on my 525 in Cinti. live on top of a good hill and have no problem getting around with them. Definitely recommend a set of winter only tire if in the north.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Have Blizzaks also, but don't really drive it in the snow much. Not because they don't have good traction, but I don't want some bozo that's tail-gating me in 6 inches of snow rear-end my E39. Rather they wreck the 4Runner, which is much better in snow anyway. It's a sacrificial Toyota!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Nokian Hakapolinas. Period. Nothing even close. I came from Blizzaks which had the disadvantage of being a little wider (bad) that the Hakas.

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts
i run dedicated max/extreme summer tires and winter tires. the LSD does help the situation.

·
Freude am Fahren
6,378 Posts
Nokian Hakkapellitas. Period. Nothing even close. I came from Blizzaks which had the disadvantage of being a little wider (bad) that the Hakas.
Fixed (I think). They're amazing tyres.

Driving in snow/ice with anything less than dedicated winter tyres is stupid. Driving in cold weather with anything less than all-seasons is stupid.

·
Registered
17 Posts
An E39 on proper snow tires should drive through snow like a champ. Running summer tires through winter is dangerous because not only is the tread not meant to grip in snow, but the rubber is not meant to grip in the cold.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Can't move at all with sport tires when the snow is wet. Summer tires are Totally useless in wet snow and or ice . Dedicated snow tires are the way to go as most here would acknowledge ,although an all season tire is passable.

George Allan

·
Entwicklung 39
4,136 Posts
I don't do too bad with all seasons up here in New Hampster but if we get the dreaded snow on ice condition, I'm walking.

I must say it is way more fun than driving a FWD car.. ;)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Here is an extreme yet timely example, ice racing. The Boston chapter of bmwcca does this each year. I went for the first time this past Sunday. The course was on sheer ice. Snow would actually have provided more traction. The course was essentially an oval with a sharp turn at the end. Here is what I discovered that is relevant to this thread:

I was in Class B. This is RWD with "regular snow tires". Class C is RWD with "super snow tires," e.g. Blizzak. There was a clear difference between classes B and C of about 20 seconds on a course that took less than 2 minutes to complete. The super tires were faster.

The take away is that the latest class of "super" or "ice" tires clearly outperform regular snow tires. Naturally, they would blow all-seasons away.

I've seen a number of tests with acceleration and stopping distances between snow tires and all-seasons, e.g. Tire Rack, Edmunds. Dedicated snow tires always win over all-seasons, read "no seasons".

No one showed up with all-seasons, Class A. I think the club members are a bit more savvy than the general population ;)

·
Registered
510 Posts
BTW, ice racing is a total blast. Seems crazy but is really pretty tame. That was my take. And what a good way to learn how to control your car.

·
Registered
676 Posts
i run dedicated max/extreme summer tires and winter tires. the LSD does help the situation.
+1. With that setup, you'll be able to handle most anything a 4x4 will. The LSD is a lot of $$$. But you should deff invest in a snow tire set (wheels and tires). Shop around. I got a set of 16 inch borbet's with 3 year old tires for $150 from a guy on the forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all.... tyre selection is certainly something us Brits will be taking more consideration over in the future.

It really was a case of 'Bald or Good' in the past, but we have had a pretty bad couple of months regarding the snow, my 328isport was practically abandoned on our drive for 3weeks, as it was just useless!! The SLIGHTEST of gradients, and the thing would not move!!!:mad:

The sight of next doors front wheel drive Peugeot 206 happily mooching off, was embarrassing.

Still, at least mine looked nicer, even stood still :flipoff::flipoff:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts