BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went through some threads on this forum and found that many are suggesting Michelin pilot super sport summer tires(I am going to live in California for a while) and to get them from tirerack. My door sticker says 225/45R 17 and based on that below is what I am looking at:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ewall=Blackwall&partnum=245YR7PSSXL&tab=Sizes

1) Am I looking at the right tires?
2)I asked the dealer if it is possible to rotate the tires last time and he said my rear tires are bigger than front one and so rotation is not possible. But my door sticker says the same size for both front and rear. Now my worry is, if that is true I am supposed to get different sizes of tires. How to properly clarify this thing?

Thank you!

·
Banned
10,410 Posts
2)I asked the dealer if it is possible to rotate the tires last time and he said my rear tires are bigger than front one and so rotation is not possible. But my door sticker says the same size for both front and rear. Now my worry is, if that is true I am supposed to get different sizes of tires. How to properly clarify this thing?
  1. Looks right
  2. Same size unless Sport Package

·
Premium Member
14,837 Posts
1) Check your door sticker, my '11 E90 328 ZSP had all combinations listed including sport/non sport
2) Michelin PSS FTW.

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
I went through some threads on this forum and found that many are suggesting Michelin pilot super sport summer tires(I am going to live in California for a while) and to get them from tirerack. My door sticker says 225/45R 17 and based on that below is what I am looking at:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ewall=Blackwall&partnum=245YR7PSSXL&tab=Sizes

Thank you!
Your door sticker size for front/rear is correct (too bad your dealer SA doesn't know what he's talking about), and you can get the "load rating" from the original tires on your car (the door sticker doesn't have that info). Not being sure of what came originally on you car, the 225/45R17 is available in either '91' (standard load) or '94' (Reinforced, XL) load rating...this rating is just after the size designation on your tire's sidewall:

225/45R17 91 for example.

No need to buy "reinforced" or 'XL' (extra load) if your car didn't come with this load designation.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to double check, I kind of measured the width of the present front and rear tires using my ear phones wire(I went to tire rack and chose sport package and it shows front 225/40-18 and rear 255/35-18. Hence, I thought I could measure a difference of 255-225=30mm difference easily. I am not sure if I am right haha) and it looks same. Plus I don't have sports seats/paddle shifters or anything and my door sticker reads same size for both tires. I will just check with dealer too and order the tires.

Thank you all for the input.

Is there anything else I should be aware of before ordering Michelin PSS summer tires? I drive in california and I am just a normal driver although I like to take the ramps at more than normal speed. But thats pretty much it.

·
Premium Member
14,837 Posts
Just to be sure, what, exactly, is written on the tire sidewall for size, front and rear?

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
Just to double check, I kind of measured the width of the present front and rear tires using my ear phones wire(I went to tire rack and chose sport package and it shows front 225/40-18 and rear 255/35-18. Hence, I thought I could measure a difference of 255-225=30mm difference easily. I am not sure if I am right haha) and it looks same. Plus I don't have sports seats/paddle shifters or anything and my door sticker reads same size for both tires. I will just check with dealer too and order the tires.

Thank you all for the input.

Is there anything else I should be aware of before ordering Michelin PSS summer tires? I drive in california and I am just a normal driver although I like to take the ramps at more than normal speed. But thats pretty much it.
One last time: the information on your door sticker is there due to mandated federal regulations (NHTSA).

If, by chance, this information was wrong...BMW NA would have to conduct a 'recall' to replace the door stickers. I've checked...there are no recalls. Your door sticker IS CORRECT.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This time I checked what is written on the tires than trying to be too smart haha and both tires read 225/45R17 91H bridgestone turanza el42. So now I am sure the dealer SA didn't know/didn't want me to know this.

·
Premium Member
14,837 Posts
This time I checked what is written on the tires than trying to be too smart haha and both tires read 225/45R17 91H bridgestone turanza el42. So now I am sure the dealer SA didn't know/didn't want me to know this.
$632 set of four good to go. :thumbup:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh I have one last question. So I order the tires from tirerack, take them to dealer and he is just going to fix them, may be do alignment if I need it and charge me accordingly right? Any idea how much they normally charge?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh I have one last question. So I order the tires from tirerack, take them to dealer and he is just going to fix them, may be do alignment if I need it and charge me accordingly right? Any idea how much they normally charge?
I actually got the alignment done like 4 months back and they charged around $150. So I am guessing that plus charges to replace tires.

·
Premium Member
14,837 Posts
Unless you are having other issues, a tire replacement should not require an alignment, but that's up to you,

Here in metro Atlanta, alignment at a reputable shop is $100 to $150.

FWIW my local indy did front ($40) and rear ($40) tire fitment for my E92 recently. I had about 30K on OEM PS1s and got 4 new PSS. Because I wanted a baseline, and wasnt sure where the PO was at, I elected to get a dealer alignment using a service coupon for $99.

·
Premium Member
14,837 Posts
I actually got the alignment done like 4 months back and they charged around $150. So I am guessing that plus charges to replace tires.
Sorry, missed this. If so, not sure why you would need this done again just by swapping tires. Is the car tracking straight? Any wierd wear patterns?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think the car is tracking straight after the alignment. I am trying to be too cautious here I think haha What I am thinking is I am getting new tires anyway and alignment is not very expensive. So if I get it done now when tires are new, I will have a 'perfect' driving experience haha without any doubts in my head.

·
Premium Member
14,837 Posts
I think the car is tracking straight after the alignment. I am trying to be too cautious here I think haha What I am thinking is I am getting new tires anyway and alignment is not very expensive. So if I get it done now when tires are new, I will have a 'perfect' driving experience haha without any doubts in my head.
Understood. Was in the same situation, my car seemed fine. I had just spent $1,400 on tires so I wanted to get a baseline. I took mine to my local dealer. My SA connected me up with 'the old guy' in the shop. Good $99 spent I felt. Car tracks straight and true all the way up to HOOOOWEEEE speeds.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.