BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I'm looking at both these tires for my 03 530. Both have good reviews from Tire Rack. Anyone have these, opinions? They're pretty inexpensive.
Thanks

·
Neverending Top End!
244 Posts
I'm pretty satisfied with the Generals. The price, the looks and the ride is fantastic!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had the Avons on my E34 535i and really liked them. Quiet and handled great. I wanted new tires for the new to me E39 525iT and was surprized at the ratings for the Generals. But after reading the comments from owners of the General tires about the road noise, I decided to stick with the Avons. I also asked the salesman from the Tirerack and his comment was if you can spend a few extra dollars, get the Avons.

So I did. This time I got them in the 18" size for the new M Parallel knock off wheels I just bought :D I can't wait until Monday to pick them up from my mechanic.

Vince

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts
theought Generals were owned by Conti.

either or, they are trying to break into the performance side of sales so this is their first A/S performance tires.

i wouldn't be a Jeff Gordon on these but it's for an everyday everybody tire. i'll shread them in 3 months easy.

they aren't for everyone but they are anyone who's looking for good tires but not willing for fork over some insane amount for the other brands.

but just keep in mind, your whole life is on these 4 patches of rubber. I'd never run Kumho's even if you paid me. some do not drive like an animal like i do so Kumho's would work very well. hell, if i were a Kumho driver the Generals would be a great replacement.

my buddy has these on this and he likes them but it's a weekend car so the miles haven't been added on like others.

i would like to hear someone who's been thru about 10K and 20K and 30K and 40K on these tires.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
m332is said:
I had the Avons on my E34 535i and really liked them. Quiet and handled great. I wanted new tires for the new to me E39 525iT and was surprized at the ratings for the Generals. But after reading the comments from owners of the General tires about the road noise, I decided to stick with the Avons. I also asked the salesman from the Tirerack and his comment was if you can spend a few extra dollars, get the Avons.

So I did. This time I got them in the 18" size for the new M Parallel knock off wheels I just bought :D I can't wait until Monday to pick them up from my mechanic.

Vince
Hi Vince,
Ya I'm kinda leaning toward the Avon's. Being in Chicago, I see they also have a 550 MS, all season. Have you heard anything about that?
Thanks,
Denny

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hi Vince,
Ya I'm kinda leaning toward the Avon's. Being in Chicago, I see they also have a 550 MS, all season. Have you heard anything about that?
Thanks,
Denny
The Avon's won't do you much good in the deep snow, my 528 came with them and had to go with snows.....Michilen X-Ice 225/55/16. As for summer running I just put on Nexen N3000... 245/40/18 all round and love them. Extreemly quite running great dry grip and even better in the wet. The Nexen tire was $160 each.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The Avon's won't do you much good in the deep snow, my 528 came with them and had to go with snows.....Michilen X-Ice 225/55/16. As for summer running I just put on Nexen N3000... 245/40/18 all round and love them. Extreemly quite running great dry grip and even better in the wet. The Nexen tire was $160 each.
Dude I paid 126 each......

·
Banned
1,729 Posts
I am surprised how nice my General Exclaims are.. not complaints here! Avon, no knowledge.
Wow, I'll have to disagree with your Kbuicker, a few months gone now, and you're ready for Avon tyres... (no I haven't lost it).. but the Generals are ALREADY worn, and very loud... so, I will be shooting for Avon Tires which rated very high in the track tests that I read about.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Not sure about M550's, but UHP's have good tread wear ratings as well. Although you can't compare tread wear ratings between manufactures, a high # is still a good indication.

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
Wow, I'll have to disagree with your Kbuicker, a few months gone now, and you're ready for Avon tyres... (no I haven't lost it).. but the Generals are ALREADY worn, and very loud... so, I will be shooting for Avon Tires which rated very high in the track tests that I read about.
Cute. Where's the test?

·
Registered
28 Posts
275/30/19's

Generals. . . having them installed today. After all the install, disposal, and all the other crap, they were $200 ea. out the door. . . . I'll let you know how they fly.

·
Banned
1,729 Posts
Why not just post this one if you are goin to post that test?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=UHP&VT=null&sortValue=0

Generals rank #1, Avons are #9

both are probably good tires, but you are still getting more for your money with the generals.
I'm sure there are hundreds of tests on different site everywhere, that's just the one I found. I HAVE GENERALS on my car, they WEAR FAST, RIDE ROUGH, and ARE LOUD.. how about that for a review/test?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm sure there are hundreds of tests on different site everywhere, that's just the one I found. I HAVE GENERALS on my car, they WEAR FAST, RIDE ROUGH, and ARE LOUD.. how about that for a review/test?
Yes, but that one is from the same site and based on the same citeria as your test results. . . .so it's slightly more relevent than I had just placed tests from the manufactures site. You can't tell me that you dont find it interesting that the tire you prefer ranked 8 spots lower? Just more information is all.

But thats where your preferance comes into play. . . .youre saying that you still think the A's are better, and thats cool. If I was looking for new tires I would take that into account.

Not sure if you thought I was posting as an attack. . . .I was just adding more info.

Enjoy your weekend

1 - 20 of 25 Posts