BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After six months of research (and patience), I finally bought my first BMW this weekend. And in all my research, I never heard anything good about the runflats that was regurgitated to me by a salesman.

How long will these tires go, if I don't hit a pothole, etc.? 30,000? 40,000? 50,000? I never hear of anyone making beyond 15,000 miles without problems, but then again, who goes onto a forum to say they made it to 30,000 miles without event?

Also, does it have to be so expensive to replace runflats? I have found several that are not near the price quoted for replacing the stock tires if something goes wrong.

·
Registered
223 Posts
After six months of research (and patience), I finally bought my first BMW this weekend. And in all my research, I never heard anything good about the runflats that was regurgitated to me by a salesman.

How long will these tires go, if I don't hit a pothole, etc.? 30,000? 40,000? 50,000? I never hear of anyone making beyond 15,000 miles without problems, but then again, who goes onto a forum to say they made it to 30,000 miles without event?

Also, does it have to be so expensive to replace runflats? I have found several that are not near the price quoted for replacing the stock tires if something goes wrong.
In my opinion, RFTs don't deserve the vitriol thrown their way.

My 330i has the sport package with the 18" Bridgestones. I bought it last year with 18K on the odo. It now has 24k and the tires look like they'll go to 35k or 40k. Yes, they did tramline some but it's mostly disappeared by setting the tire pressure at max (over 100mph - 38 psi front, 45 psi rear). No, they aren't noisy.

Are they harsh? A bit, but that might also be because of the sport package. My wife can't sleep with a pea under her bed but she doesn't complain about the ride.

Unless an alternate brand turns up, I'll be replacing with the same when the time comes.

BTW, I do keep a compressor and fix-a-flat under the trunk (where the spare was supposed to be).

·
Registered
927 Posts
You won't keep that compressor and fix-a-flat in said compartment if you have a 335i. The compartment is very tiny due to intrusion of the twin resonators. That said, our 330i has about 17,500 miles on the OEM runflats, and they probably will exceed 30,000 miles (i.e., well beyond the end of the lease period). The new 335i with Sport package has only 1300 miles, so it is too early to say anything about tire life. The 325i which we traded in for the335i had 15,000 miles, and those tires would in my estimation have been good for 30,000+. Just my $.02 worth.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Depends on your driving but if you drive the car like it was built to be driven you can expect to change them often. I am at 1 year and 12,000 on my 335i and the rears are past the wear bar and the front are getting close. Leave the DTC off all the time and they won't even make it that long. The run flat z rateds leave a lot of tread on the road and wear quickly, but if I am not mistaken that is what they are designed to do. If you are a conservative driver you can probably expect to get 20K-30K on them.

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
After reading this thread I'm even more inclined to buy the 335i. It has given me more to explain to the (soon to be) wifey that I need to get rid of my awesome GTI for an even better 335i.

She really liked the $0 maintenance for the term of my lease and now that my front tires need replacing after just 10,000 miles(which I don't plan on replacing since they are on the back now). I can tell her that the tires on the BMW last twice as long as my Summer Bridgestone Potenza's I have on the GTI.

·
Registered
204 Posts
After reading this thread I'm even more inclined to buy the 335i. It has given me more to explain to the (soon to be) wifey that I need to get rid of my awesome GTI for an even better 335i.

She really liked the $0 maintenance for the term of my lease and now that my front tires need replacing after just 10,000 miles(which I don't plan on replacing since they are on the back now). I can tell her that the tires on the BMW last twice as long as my Summer Bridgestone Potenza's I have on the GTI.
see there...he's making lemonade from lemons.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I have never reached more than 15k on the rear with high performance rubber. I don't expect to this time either. I won't replace the run flats with run flats, but they will last a year or so, so I will live with them until then. Depending on cost, I might get one set of rear run flats to wear out the fronts. The fronts will last much longer then the rears, of course.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So to summarize: I am a conservative driver (who like to go fast now and then, but not peel out doing it), so I should be able to do 30,000 miles, right? This makes me wonder if all the problems I read about stem from hard driving. Not that a BMW shouldn't be up to it, but I'm pretty easy on cars.

·
BMWCCA 149159
2,876 Posts
I have some real date unfortunately on my tire wear. I hit a pothole leaving work and it bent two rims. Totally my fault as the pothole was in a lane I never drive in and was one where the whole wheel went down into the pothole and the wheel and tire contacted the other side. Frankly I was suprised that the damage was not worse when I went back and looked at what I hit.

I have the 17 Conti SSR's RFT's with 10, 500 miles. My dealer replaced the one bad tire and two rims. The tire measured 8/32 and the new tire was supposed to be 10/32 but when he measured it, it was really 9/32 of an inch. Based upon that wear rate and the fact you should replace the tires at 2/32 that gives a respectable wear rate of around 40,000 miles.

The tires are better then expected but they don't compare at all to my Michelin Pilot Sports PS2's on my M3.

I have noticed that either I am getting used to the stiffer side walls or the car is really not that bad with these RFT's

I agree with the OP that these tires are not that bad. That said I have 19" M3 wheels to replace these once I put the car back into Ohio the end of May...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My dealer replaced the one bad tire and two rims.
So you hit a pothole and the dealer replaced a tire and two rims? Did you have the tire insurance or something?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.