BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have 205/50/17 conti tires on my 2001 330xi.
I need to rplace all four and thinking of going with 225/45/17 with the same wheel.
Has anybody else ever done that? I would appriciate any feedback...

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
my330xi said:
I need to rplace all four and thinking of going with 225/45/17 with the same wheel.
225 section width is about the limit for 7" wide wheels. Some well tell you not to do it, others will say it's fine. There are tradeoffs with that size (bulged looking sidewall and possibly more tramlining but increased curb rash protection...the increased tread cuts both ways, better in the dry, worse in the wet/snow/etc)

·
AWD rocks
426 Posts
my330xi said:
i believe bmw doesn't offer a wider tire on the xi is because of what the prev. replier stated "the trade-off of worse wet/snow road traction" with the wider tire.

bmw knows a wider tire would decrease the all wheel drive traction. by how much? i have no idea. all i know is the audi a4 with wider tires serverely decreases wet weather traction. a friend had a '01 s4 and wouldn't drive it in the snow after a few eye-opening sliding experiences (granted the high-performance tires didn't help things).

i love my '02 325xi. i have zero problems driving in any weather condition on any road surface in the hilly philadelphia surburbs. this is way, i won't mess around with the advantages of all wheel drive by going to wider tires.

·
Registered
365 Posts
my330xi said:
I got a deal on some snows (LM-22's) and wheels from a 330i. 225 is wider than I would have liked for winters, but it was too good a deal to pass up. In any case:

1) They're better on dry than the crappy Eagle RSA's that came stock with the car.

2) They tramline slightly more than 205's.

3) The steering feels more precise (I have no idea why this is, but perhaps one of the wheel and tire wonks here knows).

4) Power oversteer is much less of a problem wet, dry, or white. (Most of this is probably due to the tire itself rather than the width).

5) The net diameter is significantly different from the 205/50/17 spare tire. I have no idea if 0.3" diameter difference on the spare will destroy part of the drivetrain, should I get a flat. You might consider 5 tires if this is an issue. I've been meaning to ask BMWNA about it for a few weeks and will post an answer here when I get around to it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts