BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Dealer told me that i need tires really bad and asap. I went in with the problem taht my steering wheel shakes a little bit and they told me that i need new tires, these are really really bad. Car has only 40k miles.
Wanted to ask you guys which tires have you guys found to be the best, road noise wise and wear wise. Thanks

· Casual Fanatic
2,362 Posts
If you don't know much about tires, I'd start doing some research at a place like TireRack.com. There you will learn about what type of tires are recommended and be able to read TONS of reviews from people who are running the tires you end up being interested in.

Tirebuyer.com also has some good prices and will generally beat the local dealer. Of course, you still have to get them mounted and installed, so figure that in also. BTW, 40,000 miles is about all you can expect to get out of a set of performance tires.

· Registered
21,911 Posts
original tires did you 40k? Yep - long past time to replace them.

Ask 6 people here on the fest and you will get 6 different answers - I prefer michelins and can't wait to put those on my 5'er when they're due... but you don't give us info on whether you have 17's, 18's - regular, staggers, AWD or not... it's not going to be an easy recommendation without that info....

· ADJUSTABLE BOOST
332 Posts
Hi everyone,

Dealer told me that i need tires really bad and asap. I went in with the problem taht my steering wheel shakes a little bit and they told me that i need new tires, these are really really bad. Car has only 40k miles.
Wanted to ask you guys which tires have you guys found to be the best, road noise wise and wear wise. Thanks
Currently on bridgestone potenzas and loving them. Long lasting tire too and good in rain. Only reason I don't have precision sports

Sent from my WX435 using Bimmer App

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry guys. I have 225/50/17 on my car. Non staggered. I dont know if these came with the car or not but these are goodyear tires. I have done research on tirerack.com. Different brands different reviews and Im confused. Thsts why I decided to ask here. These goodyear tires are bad.... im looking for good least expensive tired that will last me a long time and are good in rain and snow as well. I have a 535xi btw. Thanks again everyone.

· Registered
328 Posts

· Registered
1,618 Posts
You might like the Continental ExtremeContact DWS which sell for around $550 per set on Tire Rack. That's a great option for you car, and with Xdrive you might get through winters with them.

Whatever you do, avoid runflats.

· Registered
3,074 Posts
Check your thrud rod bushings too - I had a shake and that caused it .

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would like to stay away from goodyear. Also yes I do have a shake on my streering wheel snd vibration very little. The dealer also told me that my thrust rid bushings are bad and bleeding because they have oil in them. Would they really go bad onky at 40k miles? Thanks people...

· From DownUnder
1,177 Posts
Forget the dealer, I changed mine with Continentals and not runflats. I have no complaints. Make sure to balance and wheel align it from a good place.

· Registered
1,725 Posts
You might like the Continental ExtremeContact DWS which sell for around $550 per set on Tire Rack. That's a great option for you car, and with Xdrive you might get through winters with them.

Whatever you do, avoid runflats.
+1

On the DWS and non-RFT'S. I ended up changing my wheels and now I'm running hankook V12's which are quiet and great handling.

· Registered
52 Posts
Today I purchased the Continentals ExtremeContact DWS for my newly acquired 535i with xDrive! My local shop gave me $150 credit for the Goodyear RS-A's that came with the car and they also had $100 rebate for a set of four new tires. I can already tell that the Conti's are a nice improvement over the RS-A's.

· Registered
1,618 Posts
I would like to stay away from goodyear. Also yes I do have a shake on my streering wheel snd vibration very little. The dealer also told me that my thrust rid bushings are bad and bleeding because they have oil in them. Would they really go bad onky at 40k miles? Thanks people...
Yes, if they are worn, they are worn. I replaced mine at 70k miles but it really depends on how and where the car was driven. You will likely need to replace lower control arms and bushings, then have an alignment done. As I recall it's a $7-800 job with parts and labor.

I can't prove it, but I have a theory that runflats shorten the life span of the suspension and the control arms. They are so damn hard, especially after some wear.

· Registered
555 Posts
Sorry guys. I have 225/50/17 on my car. Non staggered. I dont know if these came with the car or not but these are goodyear tires. I have done research on tirerack.com. Different brands different reviews and Im confused. Thsts why I decided to ask here. These goodyear tires are bad.... im looking for good least expensive tired that will last me a long time and are good in rain and snow as well. I have a 535xi btw. Thanks again everyone.
I also have a 535Xi with 225-50/17 tires. Bought the car new and it came with Goodyear RS-As. Replaced those with Michelin Pilot Sport All Season Plus tires but had to replace those early because the inside and outside edges wore more quickly than the tread in the middle. I maintained a consistent tire pressure of 33F / 37R (1 psi over recommended values on the door sticker).

Bought a second set of Pilot Sport AS+ tires and had a 4 wheel alignment at the dealer, but the second set did the same thing, wore more on the edges than the middle despite maintaining tire pressure. I once read a post where someone said Michelin uses different tread compound on the edges than the middle, so am wondering if that could be the reason.

When this second set wore out prematurely, I had switched to using a local independent repair shop rather than the dealer and they said my thrust bearings were bad. This was at around 75,000 miles, had those replaced, and got a 4 wheel alignment.

This time, based on the advice of the independent repair shop, I bought a set of Michelin Primacy MXM4 W speed rated all-seasons. I was not originally considering them because they are listed as Grand Touring AS rather than Ultra High Performance AS, but I like them a lot. I cannot detect any lessening of handling compared to the PS AS+. FWIW, I actually think they look better because the shoulders are more square while the PS AS+ were more rounded and gave me the impression of a skinnier tire. The tread pattern on the PS AS+ however looks more agressive.

Bruce

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.