BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 X5 5.0 with sport activity, staggered 275 front 315 rear. I have RFT - Bridgestone Dueler' s now on car. Do I have to run RFT'S?
I live in St. Louis Mo, and have all four seasons. I suppose best scenario to have two sets, one summer and one winter? Is there an all season RFT?
Need to do something, have nail in right rear, dealer wants to all four new tires on due to AWD and tread depth, I would like to replace only rear but realize because of tread depth this may not be wise. AND I realize if I run RFT's or conventional tires, because its AWD the tread depth is always going to be an issue.
Thanks for any advice, Ralph

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 105K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
20,942 Posts
No, you do not have to run RFT.

There are no good all season tires, better known as no-season tires.

Yes, I run all weather RFT NOKIAN WR G3 SUV RFT year around. They have Driver’s Safety Indicator wear marks at each millimeter and one at no longer snow advisable.

Mine are three years old and still snow capable.

NOKIAN has precise directions on repairability of their tires, generally reparable if less than 1/4” and in the tread area, not shoulder.

I am very pleased. I preemptively changed Duelers for the NOKIANs.

Reactions: jaye944

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
You answer to 1st question, NO you do NOT need to run RFT. I have the same set-up as you & am running NITTO Motivo's. However, due to the wide tread they suck in the snow.
I would buy a set of "take offs" in the 18" wheel for the snowy road conditions. Just my opinion

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, you do not have to run RFT.

There are no good all season tires, better known as no-season tires.

Yes, I run all weather RFT NOKIAN WR G3 SUV RFT year around. They have Driver’s Safety Indicator wear marks at each millimeter and one at no longer snow advisable.

Mine are three years old and still snow capable.

NOKIAN has precise directions on repairability of their tires, generally reparable if less than 1/4” and in the tread area, not shoulder.

I am very pleased. I preemptively changed Duelers for the NOKIANs.
Thanks Doug, I"m looking into the Nokian's
Ralph

·
Resident Curmudgeon
25,512 Posts
1. You do not “need” to run RFT tires.

2. “Dealer”?!? For tires? As in BMW dealer??? Dear god no….

3. What are the tread depths? We can tell you if it is ‘safe’ to replace one.

4. Those bridge stones are about the absolute worst tires you can buy

5. Look at Michelin latitude zp (RFT) … all season, great tires. There are others

6. No to offend, but you don’t seem like a driver compelled to be on the bleeding edge of performance. Don’t feel like you need to follow such advice…..

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, maybe no RFT, Talked to Firestone, but looking at Tire Rack. FL 6/32 center, 4/32 outside edge, RL 6/32 center, 5/32 outside edge. FR 7/32 center, 3/32 outside edge, RR 6/32 center, 5/32 outside edge. I will also look at Michelin.
Thanks for the info.

·
Nuclear engineer
20,942 Posts
Tire Rack sells only what they have, recommends only what they have to sell, like any salesman.com

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I have had success replacing a single damaged tire by purchasing a used tire from places like United Tire and Champ Tire (find them on ebay). The used tire business is getting tougher as industry norms keep reducing the age at which tires are supposedly too old to be installed (as short as 5-6 years in some cases). I recently acquired a full-sized spare for my new-to-me E70 35d by purchasing a used wheel and a used tire to match my existing wheels/tires. The DOT code was from 2018, so no installation issues.

Going forward, I will continue my preferred strategy of buying 5 new tires, using a 5-wheel rotation pattern, and dropping to a 4-wheel rotation pattern in the event of a premature tire failure. I will most likely purchase a compact spare to carry in the back, though I'm not 100% convinced yet. For my purposes, I really should carry a full-sized spare when towing or travelling long distances. I just don't want to lug the thing around all the time. I do carry a plug kit and a 12v compressor, so that will eliminate many, but not all scenarios requiring a spare tire.

If you're interested, the best deals I could find on a compact spare was ECS Tuning for the wheel and Discount Tire DIRECT for the tire. I have to tools/ability to install the tire on the rim myself, so you'd have to factor in mounting costs if necessary. I would not bother with balancing for a compact spare.

AM.

Reactions: Ralphhall

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Ok, maybe no RFT, Talked to Firestone, but looking at Tire Rack. FL 6/32 center, 4/32 outside edge, RL 6/32 center, 5/32 outside edge. FR 7/32 center, 3/32 outside edge, RR 6/32 center, 5/32 outside edge. I will also look at Michelin.
Thanks for the info.
Sounds like your tires are chronically underinflated.

AM.

·
Nuclear engineer
20,942 Posts
The other day, stuck in traffic, I noticed an external rear mounted full sized spare marked TEMPORARY USE ONLY. I have never seen that before.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You answer to 1st question, NO you do NOT need to run RFT. I have the same set-up as you & am running NITTO Motivo's. However, due to the wide tread they suck in the snow.
I would buy a set of "take offs" in the 18" wheel for the snowy road conditions. Just my opinion
Agree, they are BAD in snow!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1. You do not “need” to run RFT tires.

2. “Dealer”?!? For tires? As in BMW dealer??? Dear god no….

3. What are the tread depths? We can tell you if it is ‘safe’ to replace one.

4. Those bridge stones are about the absolute worst tires you can buy

5. Look at Michelin latitude zp (RFT) … all season, great tires. There are others

6. No to offend, but you don’t seem like a driver compelled to be on the bleeding edge of performance. Don’t feel like you need to follow such advice…..
Sounds like your tires are chronically underinflated.

AM.
Yes, I believe so.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
25,512 Posts
Thanks for the info.
Agree with the other comment...you need a bit more air in those tires...AND...please read the link in my signature on ALIGNMENT and get it done. Not just 'an alignment' but what is recommended in the thread.

Your tires are at the limit for replacing 'just one'. The arent gone, but not a lot left. So why toss good money after bad? If these were good tires- like not BS duelers- Id say yes, but one.

Having said that, if you could find a single used tire with 5-6mm trad, prolly do you for a while.

However, going into winter, I might just bite the bullet....

GL

·
Resident Curmudgeon
25,512 Posts
Runflats ride like garbage... That was one of the first things I changed on mine...

I
Which runflats?

Or do you personally have experience with every runflat ever made for the X5?

If you say "oh, they were the stock Bridgestone duelers" then the response is "No Duh"

·
Registered
350 Posts
Which runflats?

Or do you personally have experience with every runflat ever made for the X5?

If you say "oh, they were the stock Bridgestone duelers" then the response is "No Duh"
I have personal experience with EVERY Runflat that's ever been made... Of course... Thanks for your inquiry

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Every RFT is garbage, but Bridgestone is double garbage.

OP, you will have issues in snow due to size. There is just no way around that. Michelin makes CrossClimate tires that are a bit better in snow than all season, so if made in your size, that might be the solution.
I personally go ALWAYS two sets of tires, and all three vehicles have summer and winter sets.

·
where da clutch at ?
2020 BMW 230i
3,397 Posts
I am going to agree to disagree with a lot of comments on here, I was very anti RFT's. on my 2012 1'er
on the 2020 AWD 2'er, the RFT's and fuukink the mutts nutts, in fact I'm getting RFT winters.

MY Pirelli's are AS RFT's I will be getting WINTER Pirelli's RFT's

DONT drive in snow with AS's , just DONT

and RFT's are NOT garabage, they have come a long way since 2012 and 2020 tires are mutt's people who tell you this, it depends on there car, how they drive and what they get, RFT's are NO LONGER a JOKE< BUT you will have to pay for a quality tire

I have not looked back on my existing tires, and BTW, I've had Bridgestone, conti's you name it.

I have a 2012 X5 5.0 with sport activity, staggered 275 front 315 rear. I have RFT - Bridgestone Dueler' s now on car. Do I have to run RFT'S?
I live in St. Louis Mo, and have all four seasons. I suppose best scenario to have two sets, one summer and one winter? Is there an all season RFT?
Need to do something, have nail in right rear, dealer wants to all four new tires on due to AWD and tread depth, I would like to replace only rear but realize because of tread depth this may not be wise. AND I realize if I run RFT's or conventional tires, because its AWD the tread depth is always going to be an issue.
Thanks for any advice, Ralph
Every RFT is garbage, but Bridgestone is double garbage.

OP, you will have issues in snow due to size. There is just no way around that. Michelin makes CrossClimate tires that are a bit better in snow than all season, so if made in your size, that might be the solution.
I personally go ALWAYS two sets of tires, and all three vehicles have summer and winter sets.

·
where da clutch at ?
2020 BMW 230i
3,397 Posts
not in Canadian snow you don't

1 - 20 of 51 Posts