BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
where da clutch at ?
2020 BMW 230i
3,397 Posts
bold words for someone with 334 posts

I have personal experience with EVERY Runflat that's ever been made... Of course... Thanks for your inquiry

·
where da clutch at ?
2020 BMW 230i
3,397 Posts
wrong they do not, some older cheaper makes and way back in the day, I've driven lately, BMW loaners and cars I was looking to buy
with RFT's 4 so far and my own one. So a wide variety of cars AND tires and none of them, were "garbage"

My car does not tramline, does not bounce, takes corners like afucineg go-cart.
I'll pink my pinks up against any car in my class, if anyone wants to get mouthy

Runflats ride like garbage... That was one of the first things I changed on mine...

I do recommend carrying one of these for peace of mind

View attachment 1042891

·
Registered
7,240 Posts
I am going to agree to disagree with a lot of comments on here, I was very anti RFT's. on my 2012 1'er
on the 2020 AWD 2'er, the RFT's and fuukink the mutts nutts, in fact I'm getting RFT winters.

MY Pirelli's are AS RFT's I will be getting WINTER Pirelli's RFT's

DONT drive in snow with AS's , just DONT

and RFT's are NOT garabage, they have come a long way since 2012 and 2020 tires are mutt's people who tell you this, it depends on there car, how they drive and what they get, RFT's are NO LONGER a JOKE< BUT you will have to pay for a quality tire

I have not looked back on my existing tires, and BTW, I've had Bridgestone, conti's you name it.
I have latest generation of RFT on E90, Bridgestone, and let me say again: garbage!
I think a lot of suspension, steering etc. issues are stemming from RFT’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 X5 E70 N55
422 Posts
My RFTs ride hard and have very poor traction in the wet/snow.

They are Bridgestone Dueler H/L 400 RFT 255/50R19 107H XL

I still like the idea of not having to deal with a flat tire I cannot drive on. So, I will keep them.

·
Registered
7,240 Posts
My RFTs ride hard and have very poor traction in the wet/snow.

They are Bridgestone Dueler H/L 400 RFT 255/50R19 107H XL

I still like the idea of not having to deal with a flat tire I cannot drive on. So, I will keep them.
I will rather do that maybe, than for sure have premature wear of suspension components. Only reason I have it (during summer ) is that I got them brand new when I purchased vehicle.

·
where da clutch at ?
2020 BMW 230i
3,397 Posts

·
where da clutch at ?
2020 BMW 230i
3,397 Posts
You're not to bright are you? Elevator doesn't quite go to the top.... Bless your heart...

If you can figure out how.. look up the Wikipedia definition of SARCASM....

Smdh
AWWW did that hurt little didums
been wrenching for 35years, man and boy, that's not sarcasm that's a fact
try a "smiley" also known as emoticons (yes I know that's a big word for you) if there are any big words do ask mummy to help you.
keep going, you still got 3k posts to go
Oh if there's anything else I can clear up for you don't hesitate not to ask me :)

·
where da clutch at ?
2020 BMW 230i
3,397 Posts
Ahh I see the problem, it's not the RFT,
got it txs for clearing that up

I have latest generation of RFT on E90, Bridgestone, and let me say again: garbage!
I think a lot of suspension, steering etc. issues are stemming from RFT’s.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
1. You do not “need” to run RFT tires.

2. “Dealer”?!? For tires? As in BMW dealer??? Dear god no….

3. What are the tread depths? We can tell you if it is ‘safe’ to replace one.

4. Those bridge stones are about the absolute worst tires you can buy

5. Look at Michelin latitude zp (RFT) … all season, great tires. There are others

6. No to offend, but you don’t seem like a driver compelled to be on the bleeding edge of performance. Don’t feel like you need to follow such advice…..
Looking to read the "aligment" info, to see settings you recommend for toe and camber, where will I find these numbers? Does it apply to an X5, 5.0, w/ Sport Activity Package/Staggered 275-315? Issue as I have seen discussed on here, big heavy V8 up front on big wide tires, and outside corners wear first and fast. Yes I know more air in tires, car says front 33psi, I now run 35psi in front (rear says 39psi, I run 41psi), and yes I know the Dueler RFT are a no, no. But having said all this and looking to change tires, I do not want to run the front edges of in 20k.....help!

·
Registered
7,240 Posts
Looking to read the "aligment" info, to see settings you recommend for toe and camber, where will I find these numbers? Does it apply to an X5, 5.0, w/ Sport Activity Package/Staggered 275-315? Issue as I have seen discussed on here, big heavy V8 up front on big wide tires, and outside corners wear first and fast. Yes I know more air in tires, car says front 33psi, I now run 35psi in front (rear says 39psi, I run 41psi), and yes I know the Dueler RFT are a no, no. But having said all this and looking to change tires, I do not want to run the front edges of in 20k.....help!
Go square set up. Craigslist is full of wheels for X5. Get 19” and run 255/50 R19.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Go square set up. Craigslist is full of wheels for X5. Get 19” and run 255/50 R19.

I second this suggestion... With a square setup you are able to rotate your tires and they will last much longer... I'm running 20" Asanti rims with 295/40/20 Toyo Proxes stIII's and love them...

If your hooked on the look of staggered then add some spacers to the rear...

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I second this suggestion... With a square setup you are able to rotate your tires and they will last much longer... I'm running 20" Asanti rims with 295/40/20 Toyo Proxes stIII's and love them...

If your hooked on the look of staggered then add some spacers to the rear...

View attachment 1043028
good looking wheel! I do like the staggered look but it does make more sense to run a square setup and 295 is a good size tire, thank you for the info

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·

Thanks for the info, I looked on Craigslist but only St. Louis area not much there... you were speaking of nation wide under "Tires and Wheels"?
1. You do not “need” to run RFT tires.

2. “Dealer”?!? For tires? As in BMW dealer??? Dear god no….

3. What are the tread depths? We can tell you if it is ‘safe’ to replace one.

4. Those bridge stones are about the absolute worst tires you can buy

5. Look at Michelin latitude zp (RFT) … all season, great tires. There are others

6. No to offend, but you don’t seem like a driver compelled to be on the bleeding edge of performance. Don’t feel like you need to follow such advice…..
Thanks for the info, yes I want good performance and have only known these Bridgestone's as I've only had the car going on 3 years. I am going to look at other options per everyone's suggestions. I do want to be on the "beeding/leading" edge of performance. I love this X5! I will also be paying attention to the alignment!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Thanks for the info, I looked on Craigslist but only St. Louis area not much there... you were speaking of nation wide under "Tires and Wheels"?

Thanks for the info, yes I want good performance and have only known these Bridgestone's as I've only had the car going on 3 years. I am going to look at other options per everyone's suggestions. I do want to be on the "beeding/leading" edge of performance. I love this X5! I will also be paying attention to the alignment!
I don't know that it's what you're looking for but I've got the stock 19's with good tires on em still 285/45/19 I'm in Memphis if it might be what you need I'll sell em for a good price...and would be willing to meet you halfway or so...

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 105K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
20,952 Posts
I believe these allowances for your mighty heavy X5 50i are the same for all E70. But what do you want your alignment numbers to accomplish? Read the @ard signature alignment discussion instructions. That is the alignment that I use on my wimpy 6,000# X5 35d with NOKIAN WR G3 RFT SUV year around snow tires.

My doorpost recommended pressures are 36 / 41 front and rear for heavy / high speed and that’s what I run. Recommended tire pressures are proportional to weight on that corner and footprint area projected into the tire air chamber.

Font Material property Parallel Number Screenshot

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2012 X5 5.0 with sport activity, staggered 275 front 315 rear. I have RFT - Bridgestone Dueler' s now on car. Do I have to run RFT'S?
I live in St. Louis Mo, and have all four seasons. I suppose best scenario to have two sets, one summer and one winter? Is there an all season RFT?
Need to do something, have nail in right rear, dealer wants to all four new tires on due to AWD and tread depth, I would like to replace only rear but realize because of tread depth this may not be wise. AND I realize if I run RFT's or conventional tires, because its AWD the tread depth is always going to be an issue.
Thanks for any advice, Ralph
I just put on Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires. Same size as you, and these are the same tires that come standard on the new mid engine Vette. Discount Tires with warranty for $1,600 and change.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I just put on Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires. Same size as you, and these are the same tires that come standard on the new mid engine Vette. Discount Tires with warranty for $1,600 and change.
Sorry you lost me at $1600.... I got Toyo Proxes for less than half that... Even if they don't last as long as yours I can buy a second set and still come out ahead....

·
Registered
12,399 Posts
Yeah, the "discount" in "Discount Tire" is a misnomer.

Four 245/40-19 Pilot Sport 4S's (slightly more expensive than PS A/S 4's) cost me $1025 from TireRack.com (after a $70 rebate from Michelin), and it cost me another $100 to have them installed at BMW of Bubbaville using a lever-less tire machine that doesn't scratch up the rims (like the lever machines at Discount Tire do).

My PS 4S's also came with a free two-year road hazard warranty. After about 1,000,000 miles of driving, I've only had three tires incur unrepairable road hazard damage at: 55k miles, 40k miles, and 21k miles With the first two (55k miles, 40k miles) the tread depths were below 4/32". So, I just replaced all four tires. The 21k mile tire was still under Tire Rack's free warranty (by 18 days). So, I got a free new tire. I had to pay $35 to have Tire Rack shave it down to match the other three, and had to pay $25 to have it installed.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts