Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered a 02 blk/blk 330i SP/PP/Xenon. I wanted a car now and took the PP even though I'm not a fan of the wood trim. My dealer is telling me that it is a 6hr ($500) job to replace the wood with titanium. Does this sound right to anyone?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Yeah

I like the titanium, too, so I ordered the sport. All the other stuff on the premium package is terrific, but I can do without the wood trim... A lot depends on the color of your car. Dark color cars seem to look dressed up by the wood, but since I ordered titanium silver, I decided to take a pass.

The $500 sounds excessive. The factory option to get wood trim is $500 in an of itself.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Sounds high (big surprise there, huh?)

I've replaced the trim on my coupe, which requires removal of the door panels and the rear side trim panels. The sedan door trim strips just pry out, as do the dash trim strips.

Then there's the trim piece surrounding the shifter; that's a little more involved, but still not difficult or very time-consuming. I'm gonna guess 2-3 hours for someone doing it for the first time and going slow and careful. I suspect I could do it in 1-2 hours.

If I were you, I would look for Ti trim at one of the discount parts sources, do the install yourself and then sell your wood trim to help offset the cost.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Joeg said:
Just ordered a 02 blk/blk 330i SP/PP/Xenon. I wanted a car now and took the PP even though I'm not a fan of the wood trim. My dealer is telling me that it is a 6hr ($500) job to replace the wood with titanium. Does this sound right to anyone?
It takes 30-40 minutes to replace your trim on a sedan. The coupe is much more involved. While doing Euro Delivery, my wife and I swapped out our wood trim for birch in the parking lot of a French hotel with a couple of screwdrivers in about 20 minutes.

--gary

·
Registered
11 Posts
Re: Re: Titanium vs. Wood

Nat Brown said:

It takes 30-40 minutes to replace your trim on a sedan. The coupe is much more involved. While doing Euro Delivery, my wife and I swapped out our wood trim for birch in the parking lot of a French hotel with a couple of screwdrivers in about 20 minutes.

--gary
where did u get the birch trim?

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Another good source for birch trim would be www.eurobuyers.com

I think the price for the dash/door/shifter surround pieces for a sedan is $475 plus shipping. Not sure if eurobuyers (Steve Diamond) has the shift knobs, etc., in stock at any given time, but my experience with him was excellent.

·
BMW + twisty road = fun
5,886 Posts
You may want to pick up some new white clips from the dealership they can sometimes break if they are old, or if you don't pry off the door trim carefully.

·
fahrer
1,387 Posts
I wouldn't sweat it yet - although I did when I ordered mine.
I had the salesman call BMWNA to add the rear shade and
try to delete the wood trim - no dice on the wood trim delete.

Dealer quoted me $435 for all pieces + install at order time.
(I wouldn't let their service dept. do it for free, now that I've
experienced their idea of service!)

I've grown to like it - the black/black combo really subdues the
trim quite a bit. When I get around to a shiftknob, ssk, etc. - I
might swap it out, but until then, it's very easy to live with.

And I'll stress - I really hated the idea of wood trim.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hmmm... i was also debating between keeping the wood trim in my car or changing it to some type of metal to match the door handle: titanium or chrome (or whatever its called)...however, i've already checked the prices and the best deal that i've gotten from a carshop that orders its parts from Germany is $200 with free installation... i think $500 is a little steep and dealers usually hike up the prices, don't they? i guess its unfortuantely harder to get a good deal if your a guy =X

1 - 12 of 12 Posts