BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought 2008 335i. Low tire light on. Rear drivers side only 24 psi. All other tires 39 psi. Put air in low tire and went to "reset" but message said low tire inactive. Tire valves appear to be metal but not sure the system is TMPS or TPM. The display in the counsel is only one or 2 line so I assume i have no idrive. Since the tire "inactive" shows, could previous owner done some programming? How can I tell if i have TMPS?
Thanks for any help

Attachments

·
Registered
360 Posts
If you decode your VIN, you should have vehicle option S2VBA if you have the RDC/TPMS system which uses pressure sensors on each wheel stem. I think it will show S265A if it uses the rotation rate to judge relative pressures of each tire to the others. Some people get tired of the hassle of TPMS sensors and recode their vehicles to use the

But if you reset the TPMS system, it will need to be driven for a ways to gather signals from each wheel and complete initialization. I don't recall what it indicates until it's driven, but there's something unusual on the info screen.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mark--thanks for your reply. Any suggestions where to decode the vin? I google it and went to a site said "free" put all my info in and it asked for a credit card so I never completed it. It the vehicle has the TPMS I would prefer to only have the TPM system. Is it possible to code it only for TPM? Would that explain the tire symbol with "inactive" below it?

·
Registered
360 Posts
You might want to search this board for "E9x References" and grab that file for future use.

Try: Free BMW VIN Decoder : ///M Decoder to decode the vin. There are a number of sites out there.

I believe the inactive means that it isn't receiving one of the TPMS signals. I believe it's possible to code out the TPMS system and revert to the more basic system, but I haven't done it and don't know how to.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts